Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Eagle Order 4th Class

Hello fellow Imperialists,

Most of you probably saw this little treasure recently on the eStand, but I figured since it's been a bit slow around here, and since I am its new owner, I'd post a few new photographs of it in its new home.

Cased Red Eagle Order 4th Class

I am pretty confident there are no problems with the set, but I welcome any comments, observations and opinions. I am especially interested to know if anyone can put an approximate date of manufacture to this piece, or a maker. No marks.

Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

It's a beauty Trevor.
    I think maybe Andreas can help you with dating that one. If I
    remember correctly there are changes in the style of the eagle
    that provide clues.

Comment

Really sweet. Should add to your collection in a nice way.
      Last edited by Steve Campbell; 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks Steve and Greg.

Greg, your tip about Andreas' site was excellent. I found a very good article about these eagles there. HERE is the link.

I'm certain that mine is a Type 4 and dates from the period 1854-1918. You are correct that makers are determined by the style of the hand-painted eagle.

For ease of reference I've copied this chart into the thread. I confess I can't quite tell which it matches; I'm pretty evenly split between Neuhaus & Sohn and Sy & Wagner. Can I hear your guys' opinions, too?

Here is the chart:

...and here's my eagle:

Best regards,
        Streptile

Comment

It sure looks like a Wagner to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
            It sure looks like a Wagner to me.
            Thanks, Greg. You think Wagner (#3), or Sy & Wagner (#2)?

I thought Sy & Wagner.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

The eagles shown on medalnet are only a choice of some makers, they are all from 3rd classes and very detailed in high quality.
              The 4th class shown is the last model from approx. 1880 until 1918. Much more producers were involved like Rösner, Zehn, Wilm .......... and it is not shure until today if all medailons were own products or bought by the jewelers from outsourced firms with homeworkers.
              So it is nearly impossible to identify the maker of a late 4th class by the painting of the eagle. More typical is the cross itself, lets hope that member RAO will have a look on this one.

Regards
              CSForrester

Comment

Ah, thanks CS.

Well, maybe I'll drop a note to Mike/RAO and ask him to pop in for a look.

Any other thoughts?
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Comment

I agree with Markus that it is impossible to find any significant details on this typ of this red eagle order of 4.class to determint a concrete producer. Wether in the style of eagle painting nor on the body of the cross. Only exception those made by the firm of Godet whitch have a complete different styl in there eagle and revers chiffre. Bud a verry nice cross what do you show us. Greetings Mike

Comment

Looks like a typical Wagner, is there a scratched W on the botom edge of the arms?

Comment

Originally posted by RAO View Post
                      I agree with Markus that it is impossible to find any significant details on this typ of this red eagle order of 4.class to determint a concrete producer. Wether in the style of eagle painting nor on the body of the cross. Only exception those made by the firm of Godet whitch have a complete different styl in there eagle and revers chiffre. Bud a verry nice cross what do you show us. Greetings Mike
                      Thank you, Mike. I'd like to see a Godet reverse...

Brian: no marks on this one.
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Comment

A little correction to my last post:
                        The jeweler with the mark R on RAO 4 is, of cause not Rösner but Rosenthal.
                        And - also if i am not Mike - i feel free to post a small comparison:
                        Godet on the left side, Wagner right. The crown, the missing dot on Godet ......

Best wishes
                        Markus
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CSForrester View Post
                          And - also if i am not Mike - i feel free to post a small comparison:
                          Godet on the left side, Wagner right. The crown, the missing dot on Godet .....
                          Unfortunately I am only prepared to look at a Godet comparison posted by Mike...

Just kidding Thanks for that Markus! The Godet cipher is quite different in a number of ways. They always seemed to have unique design, no matter what the decoration.
                          Best regards,
                          Streptile

Comment

Thanks Markus,

and that is the key, the missing dot on Godet ......really simple. ;o)

Greetings Mike

Comment

I was looking on the cross arms, which are blank...

I've just discovered that this piece is marked on the barrel between the 6 and 9 o'clock arms:

WILM.

Who are they? I do know Iron Crosses may also be found with this mark. Are RAOs also known?

I'm pretty excited to have a marked piece, I must say.
                              Best regards,
                              Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X