Strange EKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange EKII

I just received this with a missing spange. The core is magnetic.
    Besides the off-center "W", the other interesting point is the difference in the inner serrations intersection on the right side compared to the left side and this is the same for the reverse.
    I tried to find this in the thread on fakes but didn't see it or missed it.
    All comments are appreciated and advance thanks are here.
    van
    Attached Files

Ekii

front closeup
    Attached Files

Comment

eKII

reverse closeup
      Attached Files

Comment

indeed it looks strange

at first look

the type off crown is known ,,,
        only it looks to be to small and positioned to low

details off the core are week but that is not uncommon to ek 1914

regards kay

Comment

Originally posted by Montgomery Burns View Post
          indeed it looks strange

at first look

the type off crown is known ,,,
          only it looks to be to small and positioned to low

details off the core are week but that is not uncommon to ek 1914

regards kay
          ==========
          Thanks Kay for your input. Is part of the "W" being under the serrated corner not too unusual? What about the "T" intersection of the serrations just to the right of the "W" and to the right of the oak leaves on the reverse? The serration corners to the left side of the "W" and oak leaves have a mitered cut. Is this also not too unusual?
          Thanks, van

Comment

Originally posted by van59 View Post
            ==========
            Thanks Kay for your input. Is part of the "W" being under the serrated corner not too unusual? What about the "T" intersection of the serrations just to the right of the "W" and to the right of the oak leaves on the reverse? The serration corners to the left side of the "W" and oak leaves have a mitered cut. Is this also not too unusual?
            Thanks, van
            I hope I understood you correctly,,
            but the W under the corners off the frame is not unusual

what you mean by the following phrase I do not understand
            the "T" intersection of the serrations just to the right

so is this,,, ( mitered cut. ) not clear to me what you mean

regards kay

Comment

Hi,

I see no real red flags here. Does it has a maker mark on the ring?

The ribbon has two marks (spots). Was it worn on a tunic or just pierced through and pinned to a board by a collector?

Best regards,
              Michel
              Last edited by morel5000; 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM. Reason: additional questions

Comment

==========
                Thanks, van
                No problems with this one. Could you post measurements in mm? The crown may be low due to the frame being large. Just a guess.
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

eKII

There is no mm on ring. The holes in the ribbon are from a spange that was removed before I got it.
                  I will try to explain what I mean by serration intersection being different. There are 4 crotches where the arms of the cross come out from the center of the cross. The serrations or the ribbing of part of the border or edging of the cross come together and where the ribbings come together they are all even angle-cut. However, half of those crotch intersections are angle-cut and the other half are not but one rib butts up against the intersected rib.
                  Take another look at the pics again as I can't blow them up at this time due to a dirty sd card.
                  Hope this new pic shows what I'm trying to bring to attention.
                  Thanks again, fellas, for your input.
                  van
                  Attached Files

Comment

You are talking about the frame "beading" at the inner corners.
                    Different manufactures had different ways that the beading came together
                    at the corners. That is a help to us as in some cases it helps us to be
                    able to determine the maker of an otherwise unmarked cross.

Comment

Looks like the core has shifted under the frame a little. It can happen.

Comment

it a very good thing you are looking that closely to the cross as you do.

keep on doing that ,,,because that is the difference between buying fake ore the real thing .

my compliments ,,,

said earlier by other members ,,,those and other frame characters off A cross help to determine the maker off that cross .

every cross has his own specific ( frame "beading") along side stamps and core characteristics

regards kay

Comment

I'd suggest this is a nice early cast iron core example. The only problem I see is that it's been cleaned.

Regards
                          Mike
                          Regards
                          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

There is no mm on ring. The holes in the ribbon are from a spange that was removed before I got it.
                            I will try to explain what I mean by serration intersection being different. There are 4 crotches where the arms of the cross come out from the center of the cross. The serrations or the ribbing of part of the border or edging of the cross come together and where the ribbings come together they are all even angle-cut. However, half of those crotch intersections are angle-cut and the other half are not but one rib butts up against the intersected rib.
                            Take another look at the pics again as I can't blow them up at this time due to a dirty sd card.
                            Hope this new pic shows what I'm trying to bring to attention.
                            Thanks again, fellas, for your input.
                            van
                            Are you talking about the "cross hatching" effect found on the inner corners beading? Here's an example of "cross hatching" on a 1939 EKII made by Juncker.
                            Attached Files

Comment

bead corners

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
                              Are you talking about the "cross hatching" effect found on the inner corners beading? Here's an example of "cross hatching" on a 1939 EKII made by Juncker.
                              ------------
                              No, I'm not talking about cross-hatching but at the same places I'm talking about 2 different kinds of joinder; one is a miter cut where both pieces coming together have the same angle of cut and the other joinder does not have a miter cut but is butt-end joined to the other piece.
                              In other words, all 4 intersections on each side are not the same.
                              Of course, I may be seeing this incorrectly being the 'ol pfhart that I am
                              regards, van

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X