Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order of Philip the Magnanimous- Knight

Hi all

I would appreciate any and all comments and opinions on this cross. Hesse Darmstadt Order of Philip knight 1st class.
    The cross appears to be silver gilt, meaures 4cm across and has no markings.
    Both centre devices are quite nicely hand painted which I haven't seen before but I have only been able to compare to 3 or 4 examples.
    The lettering has tiny punch marks in it and the band containing the lettering is a separate piece from the centre device.
    Also the ball suspension is unusual.

Thanks in advance

Patrick
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

//
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Patrick W,

Although I do not collect this particular order, I have seen a number of them over the years; and I must say that I have never seen one quite like this.

The original (from 1840) and very early pieces had painted obverse and reverse center figures inside oval, not round, frames; and the early knight’s crosses were gold, not plated. Most importantly, the figure of Philip was a full length, standing, figure.

Now with regard to the upper cropped figure pieces, all of these that I have ever seen had separately applied Philip and lion figures. I can only guess that this piece is likely a “spangenstuck” or, possibly a transition piece; but I would be more comfortable with the latter possibility if it was gold.

I hope that this information is helpful and look forward to information and opinions from some of our more learned members,

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Not my field either, but obviously a high quality period item. I'd also say a Spangenstueck.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions guys. It definitely seems to be period but unusual. Could well be a spangenstuck I suppose. Any other comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
                The cross appears to be silver gilt, meaures 4cm across and has no markings.

The lettering has tiny punch marks in it and the band containing the lettering is a separate piece from the centre device.

Thanks in advance

Patrick
                Hi Patrick, silver gilt would suggest post 1914 manufacture when they needed Gold for other things. The "tiny punch marks" are probably hand chiseled engravings. Only awards i saw with that kind of ball suspension is lots later made Spanish ones, probably not related to this one at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
                  Saw that Ball on stuff made by Spink-London too.

Comment

Hi Carl

Thanks yes it is certainly a unique item and jeweller made to order. Andreas Schulze Ising thought French or Austrian and I believe Detlev thought French but could have been made anywhere I suppose.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X