Wartime Ribbons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wartime Ribbons

I am seeking clarification on the issuance of wartime ribbons. As a point for refference, I will use the Bavarian MVK.

I understand that the peacetime ribbom was white with a blue edge on both sides. Whereas the wartime ribbon had an additional black stripe on both sides along with the blue stripe.

My questions involve the type of ribbon and the addition of swords.

1. Do the swords strictly indicate that the ricipient was a soldier? If so, they could be found on a peacetime ribbon. Or do they indicate participation in battle and therefore always on the wartime ribbon.?

2. Would the cross without swords ever be awarded on the wartime ribbon (to a civilian) during time of war?

I appreciate comments. I have attached sample ribbons below.

Archie

Ribbon examples
    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, but the cross on the right isn't "the big deal".

The "peace time" ribbon was the only one up to 1913, so it comes as well on crosses with swords - but only to pre 1913 awards.

I'm not aware of "peace time" awards in WWI, so those came all with swords, on the war ribbon you show or on the third, the other war merit ribbon, mostly for officials etc.
      sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "the big deal". I didn't say anything was a big deal. Just asking about the combination of the various ribbons and the swords.

Thanks for your other comments. They help clarify some things.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyarch View Post
          I'm not sure what you mean by "the big deal". I didn't say anything was a big deal.
          Ah okay, sorry. I don't think that is a real one, but if you knew before, fine.

Originally posted by Indyarch View Post
          They help clarify some things.
          If there are any other questions, don't hesitate. That's a very wide field with all those crosses, different wars and different ribbons. I never know where to start...

sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X