WWI Binoculars found on WW2 German

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Binoculars found on WW2 German

I have a pair of WW1 binoculars that were Vet acquired off a dead German (really not the fake story). He picked them up in 1945 near Aachen. Finding such an early piece so late in the next war seems unusual. Could this be Volksturm issue or were guys carrying these well into the 2nd World War?

Thanks.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

I suppose it was a very short space of time between the WW1 and WW2. From my perspective being born at the beginning of WW2 it seems most likely that they would still be using what at that time was then an fairly up to date technology.

Comment

Originally posted by wamenity View Post
      I suppose it was a very short space of time between the WW1 and WW2. From my perspective being born at the beginning of WW2 it seems most likely that they would still be using what at that time was then an fairly up to date technology.
      I agree, a lot of WWI equipment and weapons were used in WWII by all sides and right up to the end...and afterwards by the countries who won.

Having said that, I would doubt that the "soldier" was issued those binoculars, but rather picked them up somewhere or maybe brought them from home. Are they issue FG 08 types or civilian or other model of WWI German military? Was the soldier and EM/NCO or officer?

Those answers would have maybe some bearing on the queston.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X