Best Looking Imperial Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Looking Imperial Award

I noticed a thread in the 3 Riech section about the 'best looking award' of WW2 and thought it might be interesting to start an Imperial one.

The combattant PLM is a great looker, as is the arts and sciences version, some of the enamel awards from the various states will be tough to beat.

Feel free to post what you consider to be the best looking imperial award... but for sheer rugged good looks and with an undeniable 'cool' factor, you'll have to go a long way to convince me that the Brabanter Kreuz is not THE best looking award ever.

Marshall

Brabanter Kreuz.. owner unknown

Attached Files

Marshall,

My vote goes to an Austrian award. OK, maybe not Imperial in the sense you meant but the Order of the Golden Fleece is simply fantastic for the top bravery and honor award of the age. The symbolism of flames, bombs and the rescue of innocents is fabulous. Sure, there are nice peacocks and horses and some truly incredible glass and enamel works of art, but they were often for princes only. This one could wind up in the hands of a fighter as well. Steve
    Attached Files

Comment

These are sissy awards!

The best design has still the one and only award of the awards. The Prussian Iron Cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Biro View Post
        I noticed a thread in the 3 Riech section about the 'best looking award' of WW2 and thought it might be interesting to start an Imperial one.

The combattant PLM is a great looker, as is the arts and sciences version, some of the enamel awards from the various states will be tough to beat.

Feel free to post what you consider to be the best looking imperial award... but for sheer rugged good looks and with an undeniable 'cool' factor, you'll have to go a long way to convince me that the Brabanter Kreuz is not THE best looking award ever.

Marshall

Brabanter Kreuz.. owner unknown
        tell us more about this award!! is it rare!!!??(i bet you anything it is!!)

but mine would be the The Bavarian Bravery Medal!!why well i have one!! and its for stuff like the PLM but very understated and is just so nicely done!!
        Attached Files

Comment

and the back! now THIS is a lion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
          Attached Files

Comment

The house order of Henry the Lion.
            I lifted this picture from Wild Card (hope he donsn't mind)
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
              wow thats an amazing award!!the work that would have had to gone into it is amazing!!i can sense this being a very very interesting thread!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
                No problem GregM. I was considering submitting that piece for nomination but....

Biro, this is a terrific idea for a thread and I like the logic that you used in your selection; I can’t think of a better one. With that in mind and using the same approach, I would like to nominate the Reuß 1914 War Merit Cross for second place.
                Attached Files

Comment

Simple and not rare.But looks nice.Price not bad
                  don
                  Attached Files
                  Yes,I collect wound badges.....And looking for more.
                  Resistance is Futile

Comment

Might get a very nice thread but I have to add the Brabant cross is not an Imperial award as it predates 1871 and is still not from before 1804/06 when the Holy Roman Emperor abdicted. Still, the Brabanter Kreuz is one of the best looking German awards - unfortunally almost as rar as hen's teath and not often seen.

My personal favourite is Baden's order of the Zähringer Lion, but there are many, many other very well designed awards. Baden's Military Karl Friedrich merit order looks actually better...

sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Hi

I have to correct you on this: It is not the brabanter kreuz. It's actually the Deutscher Kreuz-style version of the kurhessian order of the iron helmet. What do you know about its history? Currently, I amworking on an article on this order, it was the kurhessianversion of the prussian iron cross for the befreiungskriege

Comment

Thanks for the correction David - you are of course correct - I have mixed my Brabanter Kreuz & Deutscher Kreuz's up!

Here are both - and it's just possible that the Deutscher Kreuz actually shades it for style and design - and of course, cool factor.

Either way, these remain my alltime favourites.

Marshall
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Biro View Post
                          ... the Deutscher Kreuz actually shades it for style and design - and of course, cool factor.

Either way, these remain my alltime favourites.

Marshall

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X