Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1914 EKI opinions please

Hello Gentleman,

I recently purchased this 1914 EKI from a private source and would appreciate any thoughts. The piece is maker marked KO and was cleaned and the black paint restored. It is magnetic. I am not that well versed in the 1914 series of this award and would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you in advance,
    JD
    Attached Files
    What we do in life ehoes in eternity.

More pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi, Joe!

Textbook KO (there a also some other different hinge systems possible on KO EK)
      Looks like a repainted core.

Cheers

Gerd

Comment

Thank you kindly Gerd,

What is the typical price for one of these? This was in part of a lot that I purchased and I am not sure of the value, consider also the repainted core.

Best regards,
        JD

Comment

Dear Joe,

IMHO the cross looks like it has been cleaned and the iron core has been retouched or at least "improved". Just my 0.2 cents... but like Gerd said it is a typical K.0. cross.

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

Good responses on Joe's EK.
            Here's mine. To me, the bottom of the crown looks wider on mine than on Joe's. (It could be my eyes, though. I'm only on my second cup of coffee.) Also, KO was a prolific maker of 1914 EKs. Are there core varieties among their pieces?
            Attached Files
            George

Comment

The back of mine. The hinge is definitely narrower than the one on Joe's. Note the "line-up" marks for the hinge placement at the top of the upper arm.
              (And.... we might get more responses on this thread in.....IMPERIAL!!! )
              Attached Files
              George

Comment

Hello!

Here two different KO´s from my collection (awards from Generalleutnant Thofern). Both have different hinge systems and different cores (the size of the "W" for example)

Cheers

Gerd

Comment

back

Comment

George,
                    Your KO EK1 is the nicest I have ever seen. A picture of it belongs in the book 'The Iron Times.' Beautiful piece!

Robert

Comment

Here's another style of KO:
                      Last edited by Eric Stahlhut; 06-04-2008, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Please note the different pin style. IMO harder to find.
                        p.s. Scan makes it kinda look like the hinge has been reattached, but that is merely a reflection or something. Hinge is integral.

Comment

After seeing Erich's example , i do agree that the badge wa cleaned , but now after close observation I do not think that mine was repainted. I could not find any trace of paint in the beading . And the finish on Erich's is identical to mine. Any comments ?? Also were these ever presented in the case with the cream color floching 1939 style .

Best Regards,
                          JD

Comment

One more to compare.

One of the characteristics of a typical KO-made piece is the wide flat pin which more often than not extends below the lower arm of the cross. Sometimes the owners had them shortened.

Here is a KO piece with a slimmer and shorter style of pin. Yet another variant!

Joseph, the crosses come in a myriad of styles of cases. With several types of colored inserts.

Comment

If you look closely you may be able to see the 'notch marks' that George showed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X