Help IDing WWI Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help IDing WWI Pilot

Would it be possible to ID this pilot? There is a description on back that I need help translating. It may tell us who he is. I look forward to your reply

I believe the shoulder board shows a propeller over the number 7...
    Last edited by para03; 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM.

A view of the reverse. Can anyone help with translation?
    Last edited by para03; 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Basically it's to a ms. M. Gosze
      "In memory of your frontflyer"-taken in the field (at the front) Hugo Hanson? with date.
      I'd check the casualty list.
      Ths epalette will show his unit.
      "Feldflieger" is a very German kind of word- litterally translates as 'field flyer" but means "warflier" or "battleflier" or "at the front/on the battlefield flier".

Comment

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Does anyone have such a list available???

Comment

There was one published @ 10 years ago. You could find them cheap.
          Try the aerodrome or Great war forum. The flyboys there will have a list.

Comment

His family name I would read HAHN, not Hanson.

Gerdan

Comment

Agree with Gerdan on Hahn.

I read the first part as 'Freundliche Grüsse!! or Friendly greetings, but you may be right.

Wonderful pic. The helmet appears almost to be British. Steve

Comment

Excellent! So it is safe to say him name could be Hugo Hahn. What about the boards? They appear to show the number '7' below a winged propeller...

Comment

Hi,

Frl. M. Götze ([addressed to] Miss M. Götze)

Zur Erinnerung an den Feldflieger (In memory of the pilot in the German army)

Hugo Hahn

zu Zeit im Felde (at the moment afield)

am 26.V.1918

Regards
                  Uwe

Comment

Way to go Uwe. That Sütterlin kills me every time. The umlaut was there and I was trying to place it.

Here is a nice pic of another German pilot wearing the same style of goggles. Steve
                    Attached Files

Comment

From the shoulder boards and perhaps being a pilot, he would be a Vz. Feldwebel?

Here is a pic I cannot remember where I acquired that shows I believe the Flieger Feld Abteilung (FFA) 7. I know it is the 7th detachment of something (FFA, FAA or Kest). Date is unknown but given the number of Iron Crosses on these men and the 1916 pattern tunics, it could likely be 1917 or after and would likely rule out a Kest (home defense unit). Steve
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much Uwe & Steve for this information. Would the 7 on the shoulder board be for Jasta 7? Can anyone find his name on a unit roster? I'm wondering if he was KIA, WIA or maybe he had a few 'Victories' to his credit...
                        -Chuck

Comment

A search of the aerodrome forum does not turn up a Hugo. Their lists are for aces of 5 or more. Steve

Comment

Originally posted by regular122 View Post
                            A search of the aerodrome forum does not turn up a Hugo. Their lists are for aces of 5 or more. Steve
                            Steve-
                            Again, thank you!

-Chuck

Comment

Occasionally, I refer to the very useful site Frontflieger.de for quick references in order to confirm or deny Air Service personnel, and Hugo does appear there, though unfortunately, he's not one of the ones upon which further details are listed.

However, if it helps, here's the URL:

http://www.frontflieger.de/6flgtrp-h.html

Gaffken

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X