Anybody Got a Match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody Got a Match?

These were popular in the trenches from what I understand. Can you tell what they are?

Here is a side shot. Two German and one Russian metal match box holders.

Remember, never light three cigarettes on one match! The third smoker gets the snipers' bullet. You'll never see that warning on a package, but all soldiers knew it.

What are the sizes of the EK's and what are they made of? It'd be pretty cool if one of 'em turned out to be a Prinzen EK...

Comment

Those are all pretty small, right? Zippo-sized?
      The crosses appear to stamped in or molded.

Comment

Hey Guys,
        Yes they are small. Both crosses are the 1914 dated with the "W" in the center. The smaller one is stamped, the brass one is a two piece, with the cross soldered on. The Russian is finely engraved or stamped. I'm not sure. Here is a photo I threw together to give a better idea of the size.
        The neighbor's cat is in heat and howling right outside my window. I may use the gun shortly.

I got all three of these on the old MCAH site. They weren't expensive at all. No one bid on them but me. All three were under $20.

Comment

Gary,
          Please don't kill yourself. You are much too valuable to the Forum.
          OK, I have saved you from suicide. What else ya got to share?
          Last edited by eric; 01-20-2002, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Hey Eric, if anyone says I committed suicide they're lying! I'm going to shoot that damn cat, not myself. I may shoot Carl and Greg if they don't email me about the Houston Gun Show this weekend.

Comment

OK, I believe you.
              Just try for flesh wounds on Carl and Greg. That way you'll be able to get to the tables ahead of them and get the choice items. Happy hunting (or target practice)!

Comment

I have a matchbox case just like the one pictured above - the one in the center with the larger EK. It came from my Greatgrandfather who fought in France in 1918. Although it's condition is not as good as the one above, it does still have the actual matchbox inside it. There are no matches of course, and it's so close to disintegrating due to its age, but the matchbox is actually from Sweden. I consider it to be one of the most valubale items in my collection. Sure it's not that valuable, but it's from MY family. I also have his WWI Victory Medal. These items are priceless to me.

Comment

All my guns fire!

And I have bullets, too!
                  As I remember, you are out of ammo. Gotcha!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X