No announcement yet.

The non-fightingman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much VtwinVince and gregM. I agree in that while these 3rd class crosses with bow do come along as singles, they are very rarely seen mounted on bars like this, or even on chains.

At the risk of showing off, here we take it a step higher with an unusual configuration.

Also, römanishIX, that Bavarian bar is really nice; and I almost missed the Anhalt cross hidden out on the end of the other bar - also really nice!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
      Another small one. Just a simple bobble for civilian dress.
      Nice one, Greg. I have this one with combatant ribbon, but mounted in bow-tie style. I think yours was the same, but then the owner lost or damaged original device so he replaced it with simple rolled piece of ribbon and then - according to your photo - he slightly compressed the central ring to hold it tight.

Comment

This Baden Bar has been discussed on the WAF but I thought it should be included in this thread.

George
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey, quit showing off. Man, where did you find those incredible min RAO's, Wild Card?

Comment

no discussion necessary - this piece is a good one - unfortunately with damaged needle system.

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
              Hey, quit showing off. Man, where did you find those incredible min RAO's, Wild Card?
              You’re right VtwinVince. No more showing off. I promise, sorry.

To answer your question, I bought this particular piece (the Red Eagle) twenty-two years ago from Tim Eriksen; and therein lies the answer. It’s not so much where, as when. While sources are important, and there are many, time is the real factor... it takes a long time... and it never ends.

Now back to the subject at hand. I know that I have posted this before, but it seems appropriate for this thread. Here is a little chain with, yes that’s right, not one but two 1870-71 non combat medals! How can this be?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Wild Card; 12-04-2011, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Maybe this will help. Check the ribbons.
                Attached Files

Comment

old group

Sorry, for the double up, already posted picture earlier,
                  Cheers
                  Wayne
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by wayne gosley; 12-04-2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

...uh... but there are wrong decorations...

Comment

Wild Card,

That is an amazing medal brace with the miniatures. I've not seen a chain set up like this before, can you elaborate on how one would wear it? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                        Here is one with an Italian medal on the end. If anyone can tell me what it is, I'd appreciate it.
                        1902 Medal of recognition for service to the Royal House of Savoy, first type (Vittorio Emmanuel III). These silver medals were issued to Nationals and foreigners alike. Awarded on King's accord as recompense for particular (or personal) service to Him or the Royal family.

Comment

OUTSTANDING Dr's bar WC!!!! Was that originally a Seymour bar? RR told me about this one-one of a handful of double awarded campaign medals known.

Comment

i am nearly sure that they were no soldiers with 2 70/71 war medals.

Comment

Thank you Kondor McCulloh. Yes, I bought this bar and chain from George Seymour. I have also discussed it with RR and there still is no identification of the recipient. The consensus is that it is certainly possible for an individual to have qualified for and been awarded these two decorations; after all, technically they are two different awards. The question, however, is whether it is proper, or “regulation”, to wear both; and here, the consensus is that it most likely is not.

RR pointed out that the absence of a ‘97 medal and presence of the ‘48-49 Hohenzollern medal indicate a proud old vet who was not bothered by obscure technicalities.

In the end, this is what we’ve got - an interesting little bar and matching chain.

Along this line, I would like to ask if anyone has seen any other bars with the steel medal on the combat ribbon?

Comment

Originally posted by römischIX View Post
                                i am nearly sure that they were no soldiers with 2 70/71 war medals.
                                Probably true, but we have not had an opportunity to check the award rolls or find any regulation that addresses this possibility. If anything comes to light, I will certainly let it be known.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X