Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Research

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information relating to a Col Victor Franke, Commander in Chief of German Forces in South West Africa during WWI.

Also any information about a Theodor Seitz would be useful. He was the governor at the time.

Thanks!

Victor Franke was born in 1865 and died in 1936. He was in the ST-SWA from 1896 and retired as Generalmajor. He was probably the single most highly decorated Schutztruppen officer: Pour le Merite, Prussian Hohenzollern HO3X, Red Eagle 3 with Crown X, Prussian Crown 4X, Bavarian MMO3X, Saxon AlbertO-Knight 1st with CrownX, and Württemberg Crown Order3X with Lions... all before the world war!

Theodor Seitz was born 1863 Sekenheim, Baden and died 1949. Member of the National Liberal Party before the war. Governor of Kamerun 1907-10, and of German SWA 1910-15. President of the Reichskolonialgesellschaft 1920-30.

That's just a first zip through.

Comment

Thanks for the info Rick! Very useful, anymore would also be great!

Comment

Hi Rick,

I was wondering what you meant by the 3 and X after the awards. What do they represent/mean?

Also was there an order called the Black Eagle?

Comment

David,

Not meaning to intrude but...

3X is pretty standard abbreviation for third class with swords. Hence you can also see instances of 1X, 4X and so forth.

The Black Eagle Order was the Highest House Order of the Kingdom of Prussia largely reserved for Nobility of officials of the highest rank. Military men who were not noble at birth might be admitted to the order at the Rank of General or GeneralOberst. I think but am not positive that a "commoner" who rec'd this order was enobled and from the time of admission - would append "von" to his name. I also think that there is a thread somewhere in this forum containing images of this order. Recommend a search on "Black Eagle"

Regards,
          wem

Comment

Just searched myself and I could not find any images remaining in the archives under a "Black Eagle" search - sorry for false alarm. Perhaps some kind member will be able to post for you.

Comment

We get sloppy and use "X" for shorthand for swords... in German Rank Lists these awards have either little symbols for the Orders or Abbreviations ("SA3a" for instance is Saxon Albert Order-Knight 1st Class) so we forget and use the German shorthand sometimes . "X" is quicker than "mSchw" (mit Schwerten).

Stick around, you'll get used to our peculiarities!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, was very helpful and useful.

I dont suppose Victor Franke had the Black Eagle Order?

Comment

No, he had not the right rank.
                  The black eagle required to be at least LtGen.
                  As MajGen he could get the Red Eagle and Crown Order 2nd classes.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X