Imperial German Flight Badges.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial German Flight Badges.

I would like to start a collection of these badges and so far all i have gleaned is that they seem to either be Bavarian or Prussian and that there are a great deal of fakes about.As well as reading these columns can anybody suggest useful literature on any aspect of these badges please.

Hi John,

To be honest, the best and most up to date literature re Imperial Flight Badges is on this forum, the GMIC forum and the "medalnet" website. Any published literature will be out of date. Having said that, the Neal 0'Connor series of books (Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany - at least 7 volumes I think, although not specifically aimed at Flight Badges) shows many examples direct from the veterans. Good luck trying to find the first Volume (Bavaria), which is the one that deals most with the flight badges from what I've been told.

Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Kenny; 06-29-2007, 11:47 PM.
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Pilot badges

Hi John, I have collected Imperial German pilot badges for more years than I care to remember ,I have a collection of around 60 aviation badges so I reckon I know when I see a good one and believe me there are plenty of bad ones out there. On the downside, a new collector is potentially walking into a minefield if not well versed in knowing exactly what to look for. On the upside, finding a nice original piece is a buzz!! There are so many facets to judging a genuine piece from a fake one that it would be impossible to state it all in a thread like this,in fact ,I would be reluctant to lay down too much detail in what to watch out for in copied pieces as the ' walls have ears ' . But , really you need to find a reputable dealer ( there are still some out there) and perhaps find your first piece that way. Niemann in Germany is good ,also Weitze and also Kai Winkler both in Germany too. ( I believe that Winkler has a stamped issue Prussian pilot badge at the moment,a good starter) . If you PM me with your e-mail I will gladly send you a few pics of my examples for your reference.Good hunting! Ferg1.

Comment

Hi Mike,Only just got your message as i have been away.Thanks for your comments and i will look for those Neal o,Connor books.
        Regards
        John

Comment

Hi Ferg1,
          Only just got your message as i have been travelling.I have located the various dealers you mention and will view their sites on regular basis.I would love to see some pics of your collection when you can spare time.My e-mail is
          john.goodwin73@ntlworld.com
          Regards,
          John

Comment

Pilot badges

Hi John, I shall forward you some pictures this evening,Ferg1.

Comment

Ferg, I have tried to emil you

Thanks for the pilot badge pictures, you do have a wonderful collection including many unusual attachment devices. I will post some pics of the Schaper navy as soon as it comes in. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X