SMS Emden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMS Emden

I have just been told that the next issue of the Military Trader will have an article on the SMS Emden. MT is published by Krause Publications in Iola, WI and they have a web site which I think is called collect.com or collectit.com. The next issue should be out by April 20. It probably will be featured on the site. Enjoy, Fred

A strange coincidence...

I just picked up this cap tally last week. Here's a pic, alongside the Prinz Eugen tally I got from Gordon Williamson. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Nice! Wonder if there is any way to tell if this came from the Emden of 1914 fame or the second Emden? Thanks, Fred

Comment

The invoice from Detlev says:

"Imperial German Navy Tally Ribbon "SMS Emden".
        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Thanks Ralph, The reason I asked is that there were two SMS Emdens, the second was launched in 1916, was interned at Scapa Flow, then given to the French who blew it up in the testing of new explosives. Fred

Comment

Type in "Emden" in the search box of this Forum for a pic of what happened to the first one.

Comment

Thanks Rick, I know what hapened to the first one and the second. I wrote the article which will be in the next Military Trader almost 20 years ago. My original question which started this thread is; "Is it possible to tell if an SMS Emden tally is from a sailor who served on the 1st Emden of 1914 fame or the 2nd Emden which was launched in 1916." To my mind the difference if possible to determine would have a great effect on the value both in money and historical terms. Cheers, Fred

Comment

... sorry I meant to add a little human element to the thread. My mistake.
                Last edited by Brian S; 04-13-2003, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Good question.

How do you tell the difference? This one was relatively inexpensive. I think I got it from Niemann's.
                  -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

OK, since our interest is just for the things, here's a row of Emden Mützenbänder, Pre-KM or after 1925, Emden III;
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian S; 04-13-2003, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X