Merenti Breast Star and Other Von Etzel Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merenti Breast Star and Other Von Etzel Awards

These are the last of my grandfather's medals. These were packed away in a seperate box with hundreds of personal photos and several wartime photos. First the star, which personally I think is the most beautiful of the entire group. Marked 900 on the pin. Produced by Weiss and Co. Munchen.
    Last edited by Brian S; 05-23-2004, 01:09 PM.

Another view...
    Last edited by Brian S; 03-04-2004, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Here's the gentleman who ensured he was given the Bavarian awards. Signed by the nice prince himself. I'd give Rick about 3 seconds to figure out who he is... They served together in Japan. Hindenburg had no use for this great man!

Comment

For Participation in the Battle of Sedan France 106th Infantry Division.

Comment

This kindly old gentleman showed up on the front as the XVII Corps. changed hands to von Etzel.
          Last edited by Brian S; 05-23-2004, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Please tell me what this one is. Of all his awards this is the only one that looks like it got stepped on. Look Turkish???
            Attached Files

Comment

It's the Hamburg Hanseatic Cross - the easiest to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                For Participation in the Battle of Sedan France 106th Infantry Division.
                Brian,

here you're wrong.

These divisional medals are mostly Austro-Hungarian (you can see that also on the caps the soldiers are wearing). Besides, the Germans didn't have a 106. Infanterie-Division. So, this is definitely a medal given to soldiers who were involved in the fighting of the KuK 106 Infanterie-Division (probably Esatern front, I don't know much about the Austrians).

Regards,
                Jan

Comment

Thanks for identifying it as Austrian. He commanded several Austrian troops on the Eastern Front during most of this period;

22 Apr 1912: Commander 33rd Cavalry Brigade
                  24 Sep 1914: Acting Commander Guards Cavalry Division
                  01 Dec 1914: Commander Leibhusaren Brigade
                  03 May 1915: Commander 3rd Cavalry Division
                  09 Aug 1916: Commander 2nd Cavalry Division

Comment

Woyrsch

Brian,

the old boy looks like General-Feldmarschall Remus von Woyrsch. Jan is of course correct about thr 106th. I.T.D. stands for Infanterie-Truppen-Division - an Austro-Hungarian designation. In fact the proper title of the 106th was the 106. Landsturm-Infanterie-Division which did serve on the Western Front from September 1918 north of Verdun under the command of Feldmarschalleutnant Karl Kratky.

Regards
                    Glenn

Comment

Did the 106th fall under either the XVII or XVIII Army Corps? von Etzel wasn't one to collect knick knacks so I assume some member of the 106th gave this badge to him as he was their commander.

Comment

This one was also in his things. The detail to this little item is quite fascinating. Look very carefully at the figure holding what appears to be the Christ child, who appears to me to be raining lightening bolts down upon the 'enemy'.

Comment

Possibly

Brian,

k.k. Landsturm-Infanterie-Regiment 25 was a subordinate unit of the 106. Landsturm-Infanterie-Division but was subordinated to the 1. k.u.k. Infanterie-Division in October 1918. Many sub units of the 1st Austro-Hungarian Infantry Division fought under German command at this period so I think it possible that it was the case that General von Etzel at least temporarily had some k.u.k. forces under command. The Austro-Hungarian corps in France, also numbered the XVIII was under the command of Feldmarschalleutnant Ludwig Goiginger.

Regards
                          Glenn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X