Pickelhaube cover markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickelhaube cover markings

Can anyone explain (I'm sure someone can) the conventions for marking the front of infantry pickelhaube covers in 1914-15 i.e. what does an "L" over a regimental number mean as opposed to an "R"? Or what about just a regimental number alone? Is an L for Landwehr and R for Reserve?

L for Landwehr, R for Reserve and nothing for a regular regiment. From august 1914 onwards this rule applied to all branches of the armed forces, not just the infantry and the field artillery. Landsturm battalions had no insignia untill march of 1916, when the battalion number and the landsturm cross was applied.
    Last edited by Blitz; 12-26-2006, 03:36 AM.
    Antti

Comment

Originally posted by Greg W. View Post
      Can anyone explain (I'm sure someone can) the conventions for marking the front of infantry pickelhaube covers in 1914-15 i.e. //
      To add to what Blitz said, hopefully this link with many photos will help explain it for you. >> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/uberzug.htm

Comment

Thanks

Excellent website and just what I was looking for. As luck would have it, one of my real photo postcards is of a armed soldier with an L 101 cover (the first picture on your website). Thanks to Blitz too.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X