Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation needed

Hey guys,
    Can someone translate either or both of these for me? Thanks!

Erinnerung an die grosse Zeit - Memory of the great (as in important, not fun) times

kuehner mut - bold courage

fuehrt zum siege - leads to triumph

I have no idea what the one on the right says.

(BTW, does anybody know how native German speakers respond to replacing umlauts with and 'e' as I did above? The Prussian Red Cross medal does it and it is a pain in the rear to use umlauts when they aren't on a keyboard.)

Comment

A tiny bit of cut and paste will get you the special characters if you have a Windows English program installation. In Notepad, Wordpad, or Word, hold down the ALT key and enter the 4-number code on the numeric keypad. Copy and paste. Or compose your whole post in the other program and transfer here. There are probably other ways as well.
      ü = ALT 0252
      ä = ALT 0228
      ö = ALT 0246
      Ö = ALT 0214
      ß = ALT 0223

Comment

Originally posted by VerKuilen Ager View Post
        A tiny bit of cut and paste will get you the special characters if you have a Windows English program installation.
        ü = ALT 0252
        ä = ALT 0228
        ö = ALT 0246
        Ö = ALT 0214
        ß = ALT 0223
        It is probably some sort of unfortunate insight into my character (or lack thereof) that I can only ever seem to remember one of the 'European' Alt codes, despite having several times tried to remember them all:

That one would be:

€ = ALT 0128

BTW, I just figured out what the one on the right says. The middle word was throwing me but it is a name!

Zepplein - Ferdinand Adolf August Heinrich Graf von Zeppelin
        Eckener - Hugo Eckener
        spende - donate

A little digging indicates that the Zepplein Eckener Spende was the name of a fund post WWI for bringing restarting airship production in Germany after WWI. This was necessary as part of the terms for surender were suspension of all government funding for anything having to do with airships. If you follow the link above they have a photo of that exact same badge.

Comment

Thank you Keith!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X