No announcement yet.

Lot from a "dane" in german service 1914-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very nice grouping.. Just studying it must feel exciting.
    Antti

Comment

Fantastic history - thanks for sharing it!
      Marc

Comment

As alluded to earlier, I highly doubt he was "forced into the service" if he went out of his way to aquire all these private-purchase awards. A fantastic group of items though.

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
          As alluded to earlier, I highly doubt he was "forced into the service" if he went out of his way to aquire all these private-purchase awards. A fantastic group of items though.
          Interesting assumption you have.
          I think that you can be proud of being a good soldier and be proud of the medals that you have earned, even if you had no option then being drafted into wartime service in the first place.

regards

Karsten

"Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

Comment

Oh My God!!
            That is THE FINEST small collection I have seen in years!!!
            The divisional bravery medals are rarer than hens teeth!! They even have the citations of the back! chris boonzair would die.
            The man was also part of the Weimar vet's culture as he spent some cash on commemorative medals.
            After the war (and even during it) many vets turned the EK around for political reasons. Red Guards and Spartakists ripped them off as 'monarchy symbols'. There is a LOT of photographic evidence that shows Bavarians, Wurtembergers etc. wearing their Ek backwards during the war-but almost never Prussians. It could be a mistake-but for "correct' germans, an unusual one, so I think its a for of 'silent protest".
            The Marine Korps Flanders medal was purportedly for those who belonged to the Marine Vets Association, but evidence has come up that many people bought it with a donation during Weimar. Many of the other medals were also purchased commemoratives.but highly sought after.
            This is the sine qua non of this type of group.
            IR 465 was part of ID 238-formed in 1917. rated a mediocre division made up of very yound lads, it fought hard in 1917-18 in France and took serious casualties.
            This is a superb set. I would kill to own it. It is a perfect example of the average Landser's First World war experience- military history speaks here.
            Last edited by McCulloh; 12-21-2006, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X