Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sachsen Friedrich August Medaille awards criteria

hello all,

I am wondering if any of you can help me with the Sachsen Friedrich August Medaille in silver & bronze award criteria please??

thanks in advance!

silver for NCOs, bronze for enlisted men- Meritorious service in war or peace, at the front or at home. Purves, The Medals, Decorations and Orders of the Great War, pg 116
    pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by ddoering View Post
      silver for NCOs, bronze for enlisted men- Meritorious service in war or peace, at the front or at home. Purves, The Medals, Decorations and Orders of the Great War, pg 116
      As a first award, this is correct. However, an enlisted man who already had the bronze Friedrich-August Medaille and who committed further acts of bravery could receive the silver Friedrich-August Medaille as a second award.

So for a Saxon private or Gefreiter, the bronze Friedrich-August Medaille was equivalent to the Iron Cross 2nd Class, while the silver Friedrich-August Medaille was closer to an Iron Cross 1st Class. For a Saxon sergeant, the silver Friedrich-August Medaille was equivalent to the Iron Cross 2nd Class. Further acts of bravery might lead to the Ehrenkreuz mit Schwertern.

In either case, though, if the valor was great enough, the enlisted man or NCO might receive the St. Henry Medal, or Medal of the Military Order of St. Henry, Saxony's highest award for non-officers for bravery.

Comment

Thank you very much Dave & Don for your help! it is clear for me now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X