Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Rare Bird has landed, but can you tell what it is??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Rare Bird has landed, but can you tell what it is??

Okay, here's a tough, but fun quiz! This little beauty showed up on my doorstep last night, looking for a home. For a nice sausage, who can ID it. In order to receive the sausage, you must give:

Name of Decoration
    Maker/content
    approximate era it was made

It's a one-piece, die-stamped cross, in silver. Have fun!
    Attached Files

Reverse Looks Like....

..... This: Remember, one piece cross, silver, about 20 grams in weight...... what am I?
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Rick,

you are beautiful, you have found my lost cross. It doesn't search "a" home, it's looking for "my" home.

it seems a little bit "golden", isn't it????
      gMVK, "W" + 938, 1914-18

Send the cross home and eat your sausages....

Werner

Comment

...the great brother of your cross is waiting....
        Attached Files

Comment

Close, but no sausage!

Hi Werner, you are close, but no sausage for you. This is not a GMVK. It is hallmarked "W", but the silver content is not 938, it's 835. (Hmmm, BIG hint there!)
          Try Again?

Comment

Is it the Militär-Ehrenzeichen 1. Klasse 1864-1918?

Jan

Comment

the date should be 1864-1906: 191 given in 1864, 415 in 1866, 29 in 1867, 52 in 1902 (Russians in China), 201 in 1895-1906 (colonial wars).
              Possible makers: W, AW or without mark

Jan

(according to my info)

Comment

If it's W, then the maker is Wagner, Berlin?

Jan

Comment

We Have a Winner!

Jan gets the sausage! Break out the Bratwurst und Beer! What we have here is the Militär-Ehrenzeichen 1. Klasse 1864-1906. Most likey an example ca. 1895-1906. Solid silver, one-piece strike. The post 1906/WW1 examples would be constructed of three pieces: Cross itself, with applied center chiffres. Bottom arm is stamped "W", for Wagner in Berlin, as well as 835 for silver content.
                  The GMVK is identical, except for the gilding and the content. Awarded GMVK's would all be stamped "W" for Wagner, but have a silver content of 938.
                  By far one of the earliest and most prestigious awards made by Prussia, and substantially rarer than the GMVK.
                  Case is a small, brownish-red leather affair, with fitted tray and no title/markings to the case.
                  In the past eight years I have seen only two others. One was sold last year by Detlev Niemann, in Hamburg. One other showed up on eBay Germany. Detlev's was a late, WW1 era award and cased. The eBay.de one had been cut off a Prussian medal bar that some moron slashed apart and sold individually. The eBay cross was similar in design to this one, but was from the 1866 War.
                  I've owned 2 real GMVK's, but this is my first MEZ. So, anybody have any nice St. Henry items to trade for it?
                  Last edited by Stogieman; 03-06-2003, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Dou you still own the GMVKs? Nice find, the MEZ1!!!

Did I say "nice"? No, this cross is

But a GMVK yould be

I have only a 1957 made GMVK

Comment

Deep sigh....

... no, alas the GMVK's went for St. Henry long ago. I actually had three! A silver-gilt issue one, cased (black case). A bronze gilt one cased (reddish-black case) and one on a medal bar in bronze-gilt. I have nice scans of the silver-gilt one and now nice scans of a real MEZ!

Comment

Could you post the scans of the GMVK? Please
                        I like that award and especially the circumstances during them it was awarded. Everyone who got this cross was REALLY brave!

Comment

Okay!

When I return home, I'll post some scans!

Comment

That is really NIIIIICE!
                            But why is that PRUSSIAN beautie in a SAXON collection???
                            I would be better here in POTSDAM.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

By Request!

Imperial Prussian Militarverdienstkreuz. Awarded in cross (ca 1914-1918) in Gilded Silver. Bottom arm stamped "W", for Wagner, Berlin and 938 for silver content.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X