Unknown Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Medal

This came in a box from a German dealer along with some assorted items, but it does not appear on the invoice! I don't remember ordering it, either...

What is it?
    Attached Files
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Fear God and nothing else, eh?

Well, I fear that I have received a freebie.

Looks brand new.
    Attached Files
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Wellll! This is a variant of the IXth Army Corps Veterans' medal, unlike any I have seen.

Usually it is a teardrop shaped (like the China and Southwest Africa and Colonial and 1915+ Prussian Red Cross Medal 3rd Class) gray zinky thing, on a dark blue ribbon with a narrow black center stripe.

The fact that this one is ROUND and GILT indicates either that it is Very Special, or a 1920s piece of better quality.

Of course, WHY the IX Army Corps veterans decided to wait until 1918-- a nice round fifty-TWO years later-- for their thingamabob, I dunno.

Comment

Thenk yew.

Probably a reward for being such a good customer.

Seriously, I sent off an e-mail to the dealer, as I am either to honest to cheat anyone, or too stupid to try.

Thanks Rick.
        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Hey Ralph! You got that one for me! Remember??? HEHE Mike

Comment

It's a IX Army Corps Veteran's Medal. The IX Army Corps was integrated in the German Army in 1866 (after the war with the Austrians and the Hannoverians (or how do you say that)). In 1918-1919 the German Army was more or less abolished, so I guess there was no more IX Army Corps?

Comment

This is the standard WWI commemorative medal for the veteran's group. You'll find it in Hülsen as #27.151 (the 1999 edition illustrates it but there's a typo and the picture is marked 27.157). I've seen a couple of these over the years, but this is the first that had a ribbon.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X