Photographer To His Imperial Majesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photographer To His Imperial Majesty

No, not THAT Imperial Majesty, the other one. No, not that one either; the OTHER other one. What's the matter? Old age and a dissolute lifestyle got you blinking and rubbing your eys? Can't get the words to focus?

It's Fun Quiz time AGAIN muchachos:

Why is this NOT in the wrong Forum? Who is this? One hint: the last little Gold Medals we are so proud of in our advertisements (what, you can't read THOSE either?!) are dated... 1872--

as usual, correct guesses... er answers, will be rewarded with the Symbolic Invisible Cookie of Honor.

Well I will delve into the merky sharks pond as no one else is obviously game, that wouldn’t be the infamous Herr Rick vonLundstrom; military attaché to his Majesty’s service. Ok I expect no cookie for that one, just a good hard smack round the chops. Very nice photos though Rick.

Comment

Notice how cleverly he has worn his sash OVER his medal bar: "camouflage full dress," yes?

I have cropped the upholstered chair--which, of course, would have given away the whole thing to you furniture cogniscenti.

Maybe the Master of Blurs and Smudges will take pity upon you and show a nice sharp pic of what he is wearing round his neck.

Why can't I ever find pictures as good as Robert Noss's????

Comment

Hi Rick:

I am just going to make a SWAG (scientific wild a** guess) here and try to fill in some gaps. The neck badge looks kinda like it could be the Bavarian Order of St. Michael, but unfortunately I cannot see it clearly. The one visibile breast star could be any number of Imperial Russian orders (Order of St. Andrew the First Called, Order of St. Alexander Nevskiy), but considering it is located under another star, I'm going to guess that might be an Order of St. Stanislaus if it's even Russian at all (I am guessing Russian due to the CdV's back and that the photographer "ego Imperatorskago Velichestva" was in Moscow.

Is this gent a distant German relative of the Imperial Family/Alexander II? I know Nicholas II's wife was from Hesse-Darmstadt and was grand-daughter of Victoria (gotta love that European inbreeding ).

Am I on even a vaguely close track?
        -Eric

Comment

Ochen h'roshowa, Eric! Da, taken in Moscow, probably 1870s.

It IS a crappy quality photo, unfortunately, and much faded in the last 120-ish years. The bottom star is Russian, but I can't tell which either. The upper star goes with the neck order.

Wrong guess on that one, but do not feel bad. This is one of those "*" in the price guides weird ones. This is as close as I've ever gotten--or am ever likely to--seeing an actual one.

Comment

is he......

The dog catcher from East Berlin, visiting his relatives in Lower Uzbeckistan??

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X