Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLM-winners Funeral

Hello!

I have a nice photo of a honourguard for a fallen Pour-le-Merite-winner. He was obviously a flying ace, I believe I can make out a Prussian Pilot badge on the "Ordenskissen" in front of the coffin. But who was he? Anyone recognise the photo?
    Attached Files

Some possibilities through deduction

Great photo! I think I can at least narrow it down for you to some possibilities by simple deduction. If you deduct all living PLM recipients at wars end, that narrows it to 34 killed in action. If you deduct all Bavarians and all those who earned more awards than those displayed, that narrows it to 7. Of the seven, I think the late war ones are least likely given the style of uniform the NCOs are wearing. But I will list all seven if you like:

Ernst von Althaus - 1916
    Hans Berr - 1917
    Kurt Wolff - 1917 - Although he may have had more awards given his score, he climbed in score so quickly before his death that he may not have received more awards. His photos show him with at least these.
    Heinrich Gontermann - 1917 - another quick score climber that died soon after his award.
    Hans Kirchstein - June 1918 - late war for uniforms
    Fritz Putter - August 1918 - late war for uniform style
    Oliver von Beaulieu-Marconnay - Oct 1918 - unlikely but possible

Of course I could be wrong on all of this but it makes sense and can give you a few plausible ones to search vice scores of them. Hope this helps. Steve
    Last edited by regular122; 04-27-2006, 11:23 PM. Reason: Name error

Comment

Impressive! You have brought me much closer to the solution!! Will start searching directly on those individuals!

Thanks!!

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X