Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goldene Hochzeits-Jubiläumsmedaille, 1918, OEK 479

Dear Imperialoids,

The above-mentioned medal on a single court mounted bar is the latest acquisition of my brother Marco. As you can see my brother and I are continuing collecting single mounted bars... the great saga (or addiction) continues...

I just wanted to share it and ask if the ribbon is the correct ones. It would be also nice if someone would have some details on this latter (how many were awarded and so on). Unfortunately the needle on the back is not time-period, but the medal itself and the ribbon are in great shape. Can we deduce that this is Kriegsmetall vergoldet... if so it has retained all the glance of the "Vergoldung". Is there any danger that was gilted afterwards?

Many thanks in advance for your most appreciated comments.

Ciao,

Claudio
    Attached Files

Wonderful!!!! These were originally BLACK PAINTED war metal, and were intended as non wearable "coin" souvenirs for the Christmas 1918 wedding jubilee that never was.

They were first "officially" handed over by former Crown Prince Rupprecht at his father's funeral in 1921. The original award document, quite large but on cheap paper, was anonymous. (Mine, too big to scan, has only "Dear Sir" filled in to indicate a male or female recipient at the funeral, with appropriate sentiments on that occasion. What LATER bestowals came with I have absolutely no clue.)

When people began to ask about wearing these, Rupprecht agreed that they could be worn on the Military Jubilee ribbon, so that is correct. Everyone had to provide their own suspensions and rings, since these were, at least at the funeral, handed over as "coins."

Having made the jump from sad, leftover wedding celebration attendees' souvenirs (there was a quite nice "official" medal on tricolor ribbon that was to have been presented to Official Guests... these "coins" were to have been distributed among regiments whose "Chief" the King was etc etc) to funeral tokens to wearable awards, the medal was awarded for services and sentiments loyal to the de-throned House of Wittelsbach.

Some wearers scrubbed off the yucky black finsih and had them gilt like your brother's example. Much more attractive, but a personal choice variant.

How many were made originally for Christmas 1918 I don't know, but the stock was still being awarded up to the Third Reich.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X