Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peninsula

Hi all,
    I am seeking some information on a Brunswick, 1809-1909, Centenary medal. As I have no luck in my research so far. Any information would be appreciated.
    Cheers, Sean

Sean,
    Without seeing it, it is probably a centenary medal for Brunswick Infantry Regt 92. Their battle honor worn on the spike helmet was "Peninsula". This commemorated their service in the Peninsular Campaign (Spain) during the Napoleonic Wars. I recall seeing somewhere that they were formed in 1809. The centenary medal would have been given to the men of the regiment during during the centanary celebration. I have seen a number of these from various regiments, but most seem to be from units that trace their ancestry back to units that fought the Napoleonic Wars

Comment

Hi Sean,

Yes, I have seen these medals. As I recall, they have pretty much the same obverse as the Brunswick Waterloo medals. I also seem to recall medals with a skull and crossbones and the word Peninsula; which may have been the reverse of the medals with the “Waterloo” obverse.

In any case, I can not find where these medals, unlike the Prussian Kurhesse and Hannover regiment series, had any official status.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Yes, thank you both for that enlightenment.
        -Sean

Comment

I have seen one to a Hussar regt. Are these faked at all?

Comment

Most likely not.

Comment

Here's the medal.

The Black Duke is on the other side.

These were unofficial, and commemorated the centenary of the regiment. Probably all men in the regiment in the centenary year got one.

The quality of these medals is fantastic, and you can pick them up for around $50.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hallo Robin,

I saw such item in another bronze version. What do you think about the medal? Do you know more about the existence of different versions (officer versions etc.)? Karl

Click to view supersized pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by GrenadierKarl
                  Hallo Robin,

I saw such item in another bronze version. What do you think about the medal? Do you know more about the existence of different versions (officer versions etc.)? Karl

Click to view supersized pictures!

It's the same medal, only mounted differently.
                  I've seen various mounts on these.
                  It doesn't mean anything special, though. They were unofficial, so different mounts would be used.
                  That's a nice one you posted.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X