1870 EK2 on eStand!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well..........

.......... the debate will be settled soon enough. Mike will ship it to me. I will check it out, make some HD scans and offer both the photos and my opinion at that point. I do not think we can give this cross a fair evaluation based on the pictures available. We'll know soon enough.

As an aside, I've owned 2 of these over the years. First one was cased and clearly pre-1900 manufacture with unbelievably crisp details, lettering, etc. The second was similar, if not identical to this one, with much softer detail and again (IMO) made post-1900.

Both had stepped iron cores, with the earlier example actually being a much better fit!

So there it is, debate to be continued soon, OK?

Comment

Thank you Rick... I for one would certainly be very interested to hear your opinion of this piece when in hand.

In a rather uncanny act of timing, this ensemble has just been listed on ebay - and I'm afraid it rather enhances my suspicions of these stepped 1870 prinzens with the small distinctive crown.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Eisernes-Kreuz-2-...QQcmdZViewItem

By anyones definition, this combination of prinzen EK, prinzen oaks and 1914 Weiderholungsspange would be a rare find indeed. Unfortunately, it is far from the first time either of these exact examples (whether individual or coupled) have appeared on ebay - and I think some of you guys already know where I stand on the Weiderholungsspange....

Here are some of the sellers pictures....

Marshall
      Last edited by Biro; 10-14-2005, 11:36 PM.

Comment

And for the record, a first class version of the same, also on ebay.de now...

http://cgi.ebay.de/Eisernes-Kreuz-1-...QQcmdZViewItem

Sellers pictures....
        Attached Files

Comment

A question from a new colelctor with poor english.

Can someone describe what a stepped core is? Is it that the cross is made of 3-parts or?

Comment

henke-

see post #17 in this thread.
            the black core, instesd of being flat
            has a ridge along its outer perimeter.

hope this helps.

joe

Comment

Ahh got it... cheeers

Comment

I'm a bit late, but here's another example for everyone's consideration.
                Attached Files
                George

Comment

Reverse.
                  Attached Files
                  George

Comment

George, Bob, Charles, very nice. Some of the others not so clear. It was 1870 and they were capable of creating some very detailed beautiful pieces. Seeing the quality of the piece George shows should put it clear what to look for.

Charles, would like to see larger photos, that one is unquestionalbly right.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak88
                      Here are mine to be added to the discussion. Notice the oaks are also prinzen size.
                      Better photos! They both look very sharp. The 25 attachment looks right for this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                        Charles, would like to see larger photos, that one is unquestionalbly right.
                        Hi Brian:

Though it may have appeared I was dodging your request, I was away from home and unable to reply. I hope these pictures will provide better coverage of the Prinzen. It's quite a departure from those pieces with the stepped core.

Regards,

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by epsomgreen
                          Hi Brian:

Though it may have appeared I was dodging your request, I was away from home and unable to reply. I hope these pictures will provide better coverage of the Prinzen. It's quite a departure from those pieces with the stepped core.

Regards,

Charles

Wonderfully genuine and a prime example of the 'real thing'. Thank you.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X