What are the Odds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the Odds?

Hello Gentlemen. About two years ago I acquired the WW I orders, medals and named sword of a Wurtt. Officer, Hauptmann Stumpf, along with his Father's mounted awards from the 1870-1914 period. Many of you were very kind to help research his military history and much was discovered - except a photo of this very brave officer. After searching for about 6 mounths I pretty much gave up on finding what this fellow looked like. And then, last week, I got a call from a friend who had been out to a flea market in the same city where the awards were found. He said he had found some photos of a Wurtt. Officer and his dog and on the reverse was his name - Otto Stumpf. What are the odds? Anyhow, I have the pleasure to finally display the photos with the man's awards! As a reminder, here are a couple of the items from this wonderful grouping:
    Attached Files

His MVO.
    Attached Files

Comment

And now I present Hauptmann Otto Stumpf.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hauptmann Stumpf and his dog 'Butz'. To think that sword now rests in my display case with his valor awards!
        Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks to the members who so nicely helped in the research and a special thanks to Braxton Bradford who found the photos.

Sincerely,

Bobby lee

Comment

photo's

Thats verry pretty. I always wonder where do you normally find these magnificent photo's? Is it just luck, like this time or are there places you are bound to find something....?

David M

Originally posted by Bobby lee
            Hauptmann Stumpf and his dog 'Butz'. To think that sword now rests in my display case with his valor awards!

Comment

Beautiful group

It is incredible that this group was reunited- especially since it came a few thousand miles from where it originated from!

It is also amazing that you have that sword in the photo; To be able to place that exact object back in another dimesion in time is astounding

Comment

Wow! Great collection!!!! Any chance we could see the sword too?

Comment

Bobby

Wonderful grouping and great story of "reconciliation" for these items.

Dave

Comment

That is a nice set. Congrats on your find and addition.

Comment

Now, how cool is that?

Comment

G R E A T !!!

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Mike I have some photos of the sword but can't seem to find them so I did a scan of the guard and part of the mint etched blade for the time being. It appears the sword was a gift from another officer unknown to me.
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is the portion of the blade with Haupt. Stumpf's name and the name of the presenter. There are much more etched motifs along both sides of the blade.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby lee
                              This is the portion of the blade with Haupt. Stumpf's name and the name of the presenter. There are much more etched motifs along both sides of the blade.
                              Bobby,

Absolutely fantastic! To have a sword like that, know who it belongs to, and now have medals and photos too! It's just beyond GREAT!

I have a Prussian sword (which I've been meaning to take photos of and post on the forum). I have no clue who it belonged to, unfortunately. During WW2 my father and other US troops entered a German town that had been left to the Volksturm to defend. Upon their approach the Volksturm commander, a retired WW1 officer of some type, immediately surrendered the town. My father was the first US officer he saw and he surrendered his sword to him. My dad took it and now I have it. My dad's passed away so I don't even know where this happened.

The sword is the typical Prussian infantry officer's pattern, but instead of a brass hilt, the hilt is black just like the scabbard. There's a small brass royal cypher of Wilhelm II on the grip. The knuckle guard on the hilt has the Prussian eagle on it and it is hinged so that it folds up flat against the grip. As far as I can tell, there's no makers marks of any kind on it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X