Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Türkischer Halbmond Herst. Godet sold for 1'795.- !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Türkischer Halbmond Herst. Godet sold for 1'795.- !!!

Dear forumites,

Looky, looky what I found on the Expensivmeister's website... a Gallipoli Star (I don't really like the way it is named by the majority of the English speaking collectors... it doesn't have anything to do with Gallipoli!) for 1'795.- and accordingly to the dealer it was sold. I am speachless...

I just wanted to show it to you, since for me I still can't understand such prices... Of course the dealer can make the prices he wishes, but some collectors don't help the prices to stay low.

Ciao,

Claudio

http://www.derrittmeister.com/051168.htm

05-1168 XJB GALLIPOLI STAR AND STICKPIN IN ORIGINAL PRESENTATION CASE. This consignment piece is absolutely the most exciting Gallipoli Star set we have ever offered. If anyone mentions "top-of-the-line" concerning this particular decoration, this is it.

Let us begin with a fine leatherette presentation case. It measures 3" x 3" and shows some minor scuffing. The real treat is when we open the lid. An immaculate expanse of sumptuous white silk and creamy soft velvet cradle the enclosed decoration and stickpin. The exterior of the Gallipoli Star is pristine, with a marvelous patina on its silver fittings. Then, our eyes focus on the inner lid’s center, which reads "F. Godet u. Sohn Berlin." It further mentions they were house jewelers to Kaiser Wilhelm II and the royal family. This, dear readers, is the jackpot! When we pull the decoration from its resting place, we find that it is marked "Godet - Berlin" on its swollen pin. Although it is not marked for silver that is a forgone conclusion for a Godet piece, particularly one that is probably early war. Every aspect of the decoration is perfect, including the enamel. This may be a small detail, but I take great pleasure from the tiny rivets on the reverse where the various designs of the obverse are secured. What is more, a small, delicate stickpin for the decoration has been secured in the upper lid. This is not hallmarked for manufacturer, but is also top-quality. If you want the best, here you have it. I defy someone to upgrade this! $1,795.00. . .

gutted !!

I sold a boxed Godet gallipoli starboxed ,near identical for £300 ...$600 .....cant see anyone mad enough to pay that sought of money as stated though...
    cheers
    Steve

Comment

I wanted to buy a Godet boxed half moon some weeks ago but the final bid of about 500 Euro was to much for my realistic thinking brain... this price here is simply unbelievable and a knockdown for every "normal" collector.....

Heiko

Comment

Originally posted by HeikoGrusdat
        I wanted to buy a Godet boxed half moon some weeks ago but the final bid of about 500 Euro was to much for my realistic thinking brain... this price here is simply unbelievable and a knockdown for every "normal" collector.....

Heiko
        Its a very nice award and I want one ! But that price is just crazy.
        To be fair you do not see many boxed !

Comment

Originally posted by Claudio Ortelli
          Dear forumites,

http://www.derrittmeister.com/051168.htm

05-1168 XJB GALLIPOLI STAR AND STICKPIN IN ORIGINAL PRESENTATION CASE. This consignment piece is absolutely the most exciting Gallipoli Star set we have ever offered. If anyone mentions "top-of-the-line" concerning this particular decoration, this is it.
          The case does not look "right." Notice that the Godet marking on the upper case is off-centered, and the cushion doesn't fit the upper lid very well. Also, most period boxes were pebbled leather, not "grained" as this one is. IMO...the "Rippmeister" was offering a real Turkish War Medal, in a made-up case. If you check the archives, there have been a couple of real Godet cases with the "TWM" pictured. Look and compare.

If someone -really- bought this one they got royally "hosed."

People talk about "shill" buying, but there is also "shill" selling. I've known dealers to offer something at a "bargain price" or alternatively say they have something very rare, and when you call...it's been sold. There are some items that no sane person would pay "Rippmeister" his asking price, but some how the items seem to "sell"...if they really were sold, and not something to make prospective customers think he has a high turn over rate of high-priced items, and many rich customers.

Did this really sell? Did he really have it? I don't know, and I don't care, because I'd rather buy from someone that doesn't have to hype his wares with statements that often are less than "accurate."

Any body here want to buy a bridge in New York or even San Francisco?

Les

Comment

I love that fact that the maker is described as F instead of J Godet.

I have some reservations about the makers logo on the inside lid of the case being correct. I haven't been able to find a match to this type of Godet logo.

Besides the off center placement here are other observations about this makers mark.

The crown does not match that of other known Godet marks. The single line around the name and address should be a double line. The lettering script is not the same. And the Berlin W is in script opposed to being in block letters on known Godet cases. Look back at the posts of Godet EKIs that show the cases owned by Doug, Biro and myself and the differences are obvious. I have also checked my references and cannot find a match.

Maybe someone else can show this type of Godet case marking on a genuine period case.

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

"I defy someone to upgrade this"......

Rather presumptive bit of hype. Pshaw! I bet he's never seen the AWS version of this award.

Those dubious cases have been on the market for years.

Comment

It was a good, flowery description that he came up with for the sale...got to give him that...obviously flowery enough to get someone to part with that much money... I have handled a couple of Tuerkischer Halbmond awards, but to be fair, I have not had one from Godet or with box, so unfortunately I cannot help in authenticating the box... but these are beautiful awards, if they come from the right maker... Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X