• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...yet another questionable PlM

So, what about this one here?
    Attached Files

...more detail

...maybe this detail picture helps, too?
    Attached Files

Comment

This one has been on ebay at least 3 times!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

That e-bay one is a dead giveaway.......but the one posted by Andreas is downright disturbing !

The eagles are 'wrong' for a Godet (not to mention ...er..hastily... applied) as is the suspension type... but the enamel work and lettering look almost TEXTBOOK Godet to this novice!

Where does this come from Andreas....and what do you think it is?

Marshall

Comment

This piece is put together from original parts. The eagles are good Wagners and the body is a good Godet. Why and when is the question. It is so well done that I have to believe that it comes from an honest pedigree. Andreas was kind enough to share this piece with me before and everytime I look at it I scratch my head even more. But now with the very clear images I can see the authenticity of the details, only the context is wrong. Like those medal bars that have an odd decoration on them and even the gurus can't pinpoint the reason. Just freaky deaky, but in a good way. I do not think fakers would have access to original parts to fabricate such a piece as say a jeweler from the day who had the various parts as a matter of course. Good one Andreas!!
          SP

Comment

Isn't this fun ?!

Indeed, Steve and I discussed this one before. A very interesting piece, and availiable at Helmut Weitze's web page.

Steve already stated my opinon...

Comment

Andreas,
              It is always fun when you are involved. You find the wierd and wacky ones. Man you must spend the whole day digging up this stuff. Keep up the good work bud!
              SP

Comment

24 years

No, no, it is just my early starting point. Having had time for 24 years of intensive collecting and researching accumulates something:

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Previtera
                  This piece is put together from original parts. The eagles are good Wagners and the body is a good Godet. Why and when is the question. It is so well done that I have to believe that it comes from an honest pedigree. Andreas was kind enough to share this piece with me before and everytime I look at it I scratch my head even more. But now with the very clear images I can see the authenticity of the details, only the context is wrong. Like those medal bars that have an odd decoration on them and even the gurus can't pinpoint the reason. Just freaky deaky, but in a good way. I do not think fakers would have access to original parts to fabricate such a piece as say a jeweler from the day who had the various parts as a matter of course. Good one Andreas!!
                  SP
                  Steve,

Eagles are three dimensional, unlike the flat part of the badge which has enamel that goes to the top of the letters. A jeweler with some skill could use a three dimensional item such as the eagles, could make close copies of the originals through moulding techniques. The badge itself would be a much more complicated matter.

In the instance of this piece, it's possible the owner might have damaged one of the eagles badly enough that the medal needed repair(s). The enamel damage suggests that the badge has seen some rough handling, alhtough whether the eagles were damaged is conjectural. If they were...a jeweler such as Wagner might have been asked to repair a damaged eagle. Remember, jewelers were in the business of making medals, with the idea of making money. If they didn't make money, they wouldn't have been in the business long...despite how much we might think they enjoyed the "art" of what they were doing. The eagles on the piece weren't the type he made, and instead of turning a customer (with money in pockets?) away, let's say he decided to repair the piece. Instead of fabricating -one- entirely new eagle of a type he might not use again, Wagner, Friedlander or whoever, might have decided to use what he had on hand...his own eagles. Removing the old eagles and putting four new, undamaged ones is a quick fix, and gets the job done, and money from a customer.

Take your car into a local mechanics shop for repairs, and see if he'll turn you away. He might use original parts for a repair, but then often whatever works is what you might get.

If the eagles are soldered on at the same time the badge is made, the solders used should have the same chemical composition. If there are differences, and traces of older solder, then there is strong indications that the eagles were removed/replaced.

Les

Comment

A very interesting piece. I would have to agree it looks like it's assembled from period parts, but from different makers. Just when you think you have seen everything....

And yes, the piece on Ebay has been on there before, and I posted it in a previous thread last time it was offered. Notice how the bidder ID's are kept private.

Tim
                    "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Cole
                      This is the Spanish fake again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X