Sachsen Coberg und Gotha cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sachsen Coberg und Gotha cross

Hi guys , can anyone give me info on the sax coberg commemorative cross . Namely the 29mm pin back 1922 period example . They seem to appear reasonably often. Anyone know any maker details etc about them . They look maybe as if they were cast . Certainly the same die was used for the ribboned version as for the pin back . Any pics too would be great .thank you
    Ferg

Are these the ones you are asking about?

Comment

Pictures

Pictures
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes , those are they . In particular the pin back .

Comment

Nice thread on GMIC,

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/1201-sachse...nnerungskreuz/

Regards,
          Kirby

Comment

Thanks guys, nice pics and ,yes I have seen that GMIC thread . I was trying to find more details on the 1927 issue / version of the pin back . There seems little or no reference to this cross anywhere . It was certainly struck from a new die and vaulted with a plain reverse ,also not oxidised but lighter bronze. Have never seen one anywhere , whereas the 1922 pin back is relatively often encountered . Just wondered why it was reissued five years on from 1922 . The only reference I can find is the detailing of the ‘ new’ cross and the fact that the recipients were few so a fairly rare piece . Anyone have one ?
            Ferg

Comment

The ribbon for these is quite striking!

Comment

These things are tiny, and cool. Very hard to find mounted on a bar. And it's actually 'Coburg'.

Comment

I am actually looking for a 1922 issue pin back example . It slightly worries me at the number of them around at present , I thought they were fairly rare but a casual wander around the dealer sites and the obvious online auction sites I count at least seven or eight . They are all exactly the same ,hardware oxidised finish etc. Of course we don’t know how many were made then but ....am I being paranoid ?
                  On close examination of the pics ,as best as possible , they do look like they are a casting , I guess that’s possible that they were cast not struck . All the crosses I have looked at ,for sale and on various forums have varying marks overall that look typical of a casting , any clues out there ?
                  Ferg

Comment

Here is my 1927 issue piece . This is the only one I have ever seen , any more out there hidden away ? This later piece is struck and has better / sharper detail than the earlier pieces .its has different detail to front and a smooth reverse . The cross is lightly vaulted and non oxidised Bronze .
                    Ferg
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X