Uniformed women in the Freikorps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uniformed women in the Freikorps

Were there uniformed women in the Freikorps other than nurses? Did women fight with men in the Freikorps like their communist female counterparts they were fighting against? Thanks

Originally posted by BlackWatch1 View Post
    Were there uniformed women in the Freikorps other than nurses? Did women fight with men in the Freikorps like their communist female counterparts they were fighting against? Thanks
    No. You occasionally see photos of women wearing the Freikorps uniforms of their boyfriends/husbands just as they did during Imperial times. But, they never fought.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
      No. You occasionally see photos of women wearing the Freikorps uniforms of their boyfriends/husbands just as they did during Imperial times. But, they never fought.
      I figured as much. I did buy one photo of two women in Freikorps uniform taken in a professional studio. They seem to fit so well I did wonder if indeed they were their uniforms. When I get it in the mail and had a chance to repair it I'll post it here. Thank you

Comment

Well here it is Was taken in Cunnersdorf.

Comment

Obviously wearing their husband's uniforms which was a common practice in photos of the period.

Comment

Obviously wearing their husband's uniforms which was a common practice in photos of the period.
            If that is the case their husbands must of been very small

Comment

I tend to agree with blackwatch. What are the odds the husbands/boyfriends of these women had the same head size, inseam, and shoulder size? I'd say zero.

But maybe this could have been a studio similar to the "wild west" themed portrait studios you see at amusement parks? Other than these women being actual service members of some sort, that's the only explanation I can think of for their uniforms fitting so well.

Comment

Originally posted by sfk20 View Post
                I tend to agree with blackwatch. What are the odds the husbands/boyfriends of these women had the same head size, inseam, and shoulder size? I'd say zero.

But maybe this could have been a studio similar to the "wild west" themed portrait studios you see at amusement parks? Other than these women being actual service members of some sort, that's the only explanation I can think of for their uniforms fitting so well.
                Whatever the explanation (custom made uniforms for studio portraits is a likely explanation), women did not serve in the Freikorps, EVER, especially the Freikorps related to the collar badges on these uniforms. The collar badges are either Freiwilliges Landesjägerkorps or Freikorps Hülsen. Both units were formed from former elite Imperial German front-line units and most certainly would never have had women volunteers.

If you look at these uniforms, the woman on the left has a GIBRALTER cuff-title and the one on the right a wound badge and a Silesian Eagle 1st class. Both have ribbon bars with the EKII and other WWI decorations. Obviously, these were awarded to men.

As an aside, some women who served in support capacity or as nurses in Silesia did actually win the Silesian Eagle, but only the 2nd class.
                Last edited by Brian L.; 01-16-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Whatever the explanation (custom made uniforms for studio portraits is a likely explanation), women did not serve in the Freikorps, EVER, especially the Freikorps related to the collar badges on these uniforms. The collar badges are either Freiwilliges Landesjägerkorps or Freikorps Hülsen. Both units were formed from former elite Imperial German front-line units and most certainly would never have had women volunteers.

If you look at these uniforms, the woman on the left has a GIBRALTER cuff-title and the one on the right a wound badge and a Silesian Eagle 1st class. Both have ribbon bars with the EKII and other WWI decorations. Obviously, these were awarded to men.

As an aside, some women who served in support capacity or as nurses in Silesia did actually win the Silesian Eagle, but only the 2nd class.
                  Thanks for the valuable information! It is great to have so many experts on so many facets of militaria in this forum . Either way it's nice to see women included in the Freikorps history(wives, nurses, etc.) especially since there are those that claim the Freikorps hated and feared women in general which I don't believe for a minute.

Comment

Not all Germans were large men. When I collected all of my TR uniforms (Armed forces and political) I could wear (except one: Afrika Corps).
                    My army officer just fitted a boys mannequin.
                    I did weigh about 50 kilo's and was 1.65 mtr. People think all Germans are Giants. No way!

And bolewts58 is right.

Comment

I've seen many photos of women in their husbands uniforms circa WW2 but did a google search and didn't find any for Freikorps. Could other members post them here if they have them of women in Freikorps uniforms. Would be very interesting IMO. Thank-you everyone for your help on the photograph I posted below

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X