Unusual Enamelled Meybauer Schesischer Adler I Klass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Enamelled Meybauer Schesischer Adler I Klass

God knows I have enough of these & enough gaps in my collection that I should be moving on to other stuff but I have a hard time resisting these whenever I find an interesting one...

The one at left is an older find: typical enamelled Meybauer 1st class SE with striated back, maker mark , 4 rivets, standard hardware for this maker and the signature gap in the enamel work around the talons (which is missing on all 1st & 2nd class enamelled specimens seen to date for some unknown reason because IMO it would be simpler to enamel the whole thing rather than have uncoated areas)

The one at right is a recent pick-up. Certainly looks like a Meybauer product to me but different and unusual when you take a closer look. On the front the feathering and other detail (like the beak) is much finer than usual but this is probably just the result of the enamel buffer taking more care not to grind/buff the surface/enamel so much. More unusual is the presence of enamel in and around the talon area which I havent see on any other Meybauer SEs so far. On the back, notwitstanding the missing striations and makers mark (which are not always present) there are no rivets to secure the devices (glued, welded?) and the hardware is of the same "economy type" as seen on zink Meybauer SEs & other makers products

No doubt in my mind that the piece is original but no longer so sure its a Meybauer despite the similarities of design. Are there any other known makers that used the same dies (or very similar ones) to Meybauer or is it just like the 4 vs 5 feather brass Meybauer variations we see: same maker but just different?

Thanks

JC
    Attached Files

I agree it appears to be the same die. But, I very much doubt if Meybauer would have used that type of hardware. It doesn't make sense that he would create a luxury version of the SA1 and then offer two types of hardware, one being an economy utilitarian one. The cost was in the silvering and enameling, not the pin. Therefore, I think it has to be another maker/supplier. There were literally dozens and dozens of makers and suppliers of this award between 1919 and 1945. Perhaps a supplier bought a blank and had a cheaper pin attached and had the half-moon and cartouche sweated on rather than using rivets because it was cheaper.

Comment

Thank you so much for the help/input Brian: much appreciated!

I agree it doesnt make a hell of a lot of sens for Meybauer to produce 2 versions of a luxury SE one with their typical hardware and another with an economy/utilitarian one specially when the version with the utilitarian hardware looks to be of an earlier higher quality badge than their typical enamelled version. But I do know this maker did use similar economy hardware at one point because I have a Meybauer zinker with similar hardware (except the catch is mounted on a plate) - top pict attached

I also have another luxury (enamelled) SE from another maker with very similar hardware so mine may well be a later issued version with generic hardware produced either by Meybauer or another supplier. - second pict attached

Never tought of a maker "sweating" the devices (half-moon & cartouche). To me it was either gluing or welding but I know the sweating process was used and it makes perfect sens here. But again we have kind of an oddity (for this maker): early hollow Meybauer have 4 folded clips, later solid back versions have 4 rivets and even the later zink Meybauer (I assume later) I attached below still has 2 rivets to secure the devices to the eagle so the "rivetless" version looks atypical unless they were cutting corners or someone else assembled it as you mentioned

Good night & thanks again

JC
      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X