This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ehrenzeichen der Freiwilligen Hundertschaft Krose

(Badge of Honor for Volunteer 'Company' Krose - It's difficult to precisely translate "Hundertschaft" as it's an old German military term for a unit roughly the size of a company of 80-100 men, based on ancient Germanic tribal formations which themselves were modeled on the Roman 'Century'.

Freiwillige Hundertschaft Krose was formed by Oberleutnant a.D. Wilhelm Krose (ex. Infanterie-Regiment Bremen (1. Hanseatisches) Nr. 75) when the 3rd Polish uprising in Upper Silesia began on May 3, 1921. It participated in the defence of the Pitschen, the fighting at Kostau and Seichwitz and on May 24-26 it participated in the storming of the Annaberg Mountain.

The award was given by Oberleutnant a.D. Krose for those who had distinguished themselves principally in the defense of the city of Pitschen, as well as the storming of Annaberg and other associated struggles in Upper Silesia. Awards were manufactured by Heinrich Timm, Berlin based on a design by Krose. The central medallion shows the red and white stripes of the Bremen Hanseatic Cross in honor of Krose’s wartime service in Infantry regiment Bremen. In Ingo Haarcke's recent Book on Freikorps awards, he mistakenly attributes manufacturing to Wilhelm Deumer, Ludenscheid. However, it's more likely that Deumer merely acquired the overstock of crosses in the late 1920s or 30s. According to Haarcke, Deumer took the overstock crosses and turned them into bowling awards by replacing the central medallion with an image of a bowling pin. Many years ago I saw a version of this cross as a bowling award. The swords had been filed off. But, the reverse with the original inscription "For Meritorious Service in Upper Silesia" remained. That must have been confusing for the champion bowlers getting this cross!

The exact number of awards or crosses manufactured is not known. However, since this Freikorps only formed the 3rd Company of Selbstschutz-Bataillon Pitschen from the city of Pitschen in Upper Silesia, it’s generally believed that around 100 crosses were awarded, although obviously more were produced. There are two known types of hinges: a long barrel type as shown here and a shorter block hinge which is considered to point to a second run of crosses later after the initial awards in 1921. I personally think it's just a manufacturing variation as Heinrich Timm was known to use both types of hinges as well as different types of pins.

In any event, given the small number likely awarded and manufactured it is considered a comparatively rare award.

I don't have the cross in hand yet. But, when I receive it, I'll post better pictures.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian L.; 02-01-2020, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks for a very interesting elaboration of this decoration .

cheers
      Peter

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
        Freikorps Oberland Bewährungsabzeichen The exact number of awards is not known. But, it's estimated that 2,000 to as many as 3,000 were awarded. Most awarded badges (but not all) had the awardees serial number stamped, engraved or merely scratched on the reverse. The badge shown has the number '450' scratched to the right of the patent mark (Ges. Gesch.)
        This blue badge was also granted in later years. I had to come over to Munich to the Bund to collect one in the later eighties, when I was interested to get one!

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
          This blue badge was also granted in later years. I had to come over to Munich to the Bund to collect one in the later eighties, when I was interested to get one!
          Yes it was. But, the edelweiss was different and I believe not marked on the reverse. So, those who know can tell the difference. Was your badge gilt and enamel or silver and enamel?

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
            Yes it was. But, the edelweiss was different and I believe not marked on the reverse. So, those who know can tell the difference. Was your badge gilt and enamel or silver and enamel?
            I could get one form old stocks in silver. The regular red one was also from old stocks.
            I got that one at a Stahlhelm-meeting from one of the leading persons from that moment
            from Munich.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
              I could get one form old stocks in silver. The regular red one was also from old stocks.
              I got that one at a Stahlhelm-meeting from one of the leading persons from that moment
              from Munich.
              It probably was from original stock. Since the Oberland-Bund really didn't cease operations even during the Third Reich, I'm sure they had lots in stock and probably continued to manufacture them. I tend to consider any that are not marked on the back or that don't have serial numbers as later than the Freikorps period. There were also badges for sale in the late 1950s into the 1960s by Deschler and Friedrich Sedlaczek. A new red members badge was produced in the 1960s which was different from the one from 1925.
              Also, the Kameradschaft Freikorps- und Bund Oberland led by Jürgen Popp still exists and has annual commemorations of the Battle of Annaberg.

Here is a reference for some of the different Bund badges from different periods.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X