Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting together an 80's era Panzergrenadier

Greetings Comrades,

Forum member kration is looking to put together a Bundeswehr Panzergrenadier field uniform from the late Cold War period. He is focusing his efforts on the junior enlisted grades.

I'll start off posting some examples of Greni kit below and would encourage our fellow forum members to do the same.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I can't wait to see what our forum members post below. From my perspective, this era was in many ways the golden age of the Bundeswehr.

All the best,
    TJ

I'll start things off with this reconstruction of a circa 1989 Panzergrenadier.

Note that he has somehow obtained a U.S. woodland pattern camo helmet cover for his steel helmet. These became readily available when the U.S. Army began converting to the Kevlar helmet in the mid-1980s. This in turn is covered by a standard issue helmet net, sometimes referred to as the " NATO onion bag."

His moleskin jacket sports camouflaged rank insignia and qualification badges. The G-3 ammo pouches and suspenders are of the second pattern that became standard issue in the mid-80s. The "gummi" pouches were a lot more durable than the previously issued models made from rubberized fabric.

At the base of the mannequin is an airsoft rendering of the famous G-3 rifle, "the bride of the infantry."

Next up, a rear view.
    Attached Files

Comment

An old forum member made up these charts which remain the best I've seen on BW field gear.
      Attached Files

Comment

This diagram depicts the kit developed for Heerestruktur 2. It is very familiar to Cold War veterans of all nationalities. It served the Panziergrenadier well from 1959 into the early 90s.
        Attached Files

Comment

I neglected to post the rearview of my mannequin. Please see below.
          Attached Files

Comment

1980's BW Display

TJ,
            Thank You for starting this thread !

I'm interested in the early to mid 1980's time frame (80-87)

A big Thank You in advance to Forum Members !

Kration

Comment

TJ, your late 1980's Panzergrenadier looks very realistic, well done. I would suggest to attach the front suspenders (Koppeltragehilfe) direct to the Koppel, not to the Magazine pouches. You can also add the Brotbeutel (kleine Kampftasche mit Kochgeschirr) and the Feldflasche as they were worn with the combat dress as well. And yes, we loved to cover our helmets with U.S. helmet camo at that time!

Regards

PK

Comment

One more remark. I'm not sure but it looks like your PzGren is wearing black/olive rank insignia (Aufschiebeschlaufen). These were introduced in the mid 1990's earliest. So he should wear white/olive ones.

Comment

Agree with all the comments Proud Kraut made. The cammo covers were highly sought after, and not as readily available as one might think; certainly also a regional thing. Since this NCO has an EIB, he probably got his in trade when he took the course.

I am not sure when, and for whom, the field cap was standard issue. Our unit did not have them, we had the idiotic side cap, which we have absolutely never ever worn;-) We wore only the green beret, even in the field when the helmet was not worn.

The canteen was hardly ever worn strapped to the belt. Due to it's design it would dangle around and cause noise. We would leave the outer shell behind and only use the aluminum bottle which fit perfectly into the side pocket of the ruck.

The gas mask bag was an annoying, and literal, pain in the neck on long patrols and marches. So for even more authenticity, get two springs from an old Bundeswehr bed spring box and use them to attach the two loops to the belt:-) BTW, the suspenders were a joke and reliably suspended only themselves.

Photo lifted off of www
                  Attached Files

Comment

Kameraden,

Ich bin von Himmel gefallen!

I knew you would supply the detail we collectors thrive on; my sincerest thanks.

Now I must work to obtain the earlier pattern rank and insignia patches to make a suitable 1980's era Panzergrenadier of my own. I was fortunate to have success with the Fallschirmjaeger tunic seen below.

Many of the Panzergrenadieren I met in the 1980s were proud owners of the [I]Rohrwaffenpersonal Taetigkeitsabzeiche[/I. I translate this into American English as the "Tube-launched Tactical Weapons Badge." I assume this meant qualifying to a high degree of proficiency with the Carl Gustaf and PZ-44.

I ask you Friends, what did this really mean?

Many thanks,
                    TJ
                    Attached Files

Comment

Based on Alfred's input, I must now classify my Panzergrenadier tunic as one from the mid-1990s as opposed to the late 1980s.

My thanks Sir for setting me straight.

All the best,
                      TJ
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
                        Based on Alfred's input, I must now classify my Panzergrenadier tunic as one from the mid-1990s as opposed to the late 1980s.

My thanks Sir for setting me straight.

All the best,
                        TJ
                        That's it, now your Panzergrenadier "fits" perfectly into the mid 1990's era.

Tätigkeitsabzeichen are a mix of proficieny and branch insignia. If you have completetd your training and are attached to an Infantry/Artillery/Armor unit e.g. you'll earn your "Tätigkeitsabzeichen Rohrwaffenpersonal" in bronce after 6 months, silver after 5 years and gold after 10 years. A couple of different Tätigkeitsabzeichen for different branches and functions does exist. Most of theses are listed here:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A4tigkeitsabzeichen

If you need more white/olive rank insignia PM me your address. I'll send you a mix of pairs for officers/NCO(enlisted.

PK

Comment

@Kration: If you are still in need of some of the mentioned items ... I have several in my "can leave the house" stock ... from the late ammo pouches to the NBC mask bag...

Jens

Comment

kration,

Any updates on the project?

Do you need any more info or sources of supply?

Many thanks,
                            TJ

Comment

BW updates

TJ,
                              I'm actually doing quite well Thanks to two new Friends that are helping me find a great selection of items.... I'll post pics when I get the project further along !

Kration

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X