Pre-1990/Post-1990 Pilot Wing size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-1990/Post-1990 Pilot Wing size

I was reading through some old threads and remembered the discussion around the change in size to the pilots wings in the early 1990s (here's the original thread: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=pilot+wing)

While cleaning through some boxes of patches, I found an assortment of pilot wings from the late 1980s. The wool backing dimensions vary slightly but the wingspan of the embroidered wings are ~106mm. The overal width including the backing wool is about 120mm.

I'm not sure what the post-1990 smaller size wings measure out to -- I don't have any in my collection.

I measured 2 x Heer, 2 x Luftwaffe, and 1 x Marineflieger pilot wings. All were identical wingspan measurements with very slight differences in the width of the backing material (+/- 1mm)

I measure 106 to 110mm for the large ones and 77 to 80mm for the small ones. The 110mm span goes at least with my wings (Ständiger Luftfahrzeugbesatzungsangehöriger - Permanent Flight Crew Member). I still wear the large one on my uniform. The small one initially was introduced for the mess dress and is used since the 1990s (don't know the exact date) also for the standard blue suit. But there is no regulation which prohibits the wearing of the large wings.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X