Some snow poncho research stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some snow poncho research stats

I just figured I'd post this in case someone is looking for information in the future. I recently bought 143 winter camouflage snow ponchos and spent the evening sorting them. Here is some information that I collected in no particular order.

I found four manufacturers:

Pausch, Geco, Raka, V. Mehler A.G.

All that were dated (the large majority) were dated from 1963 up through the late 60's. I think that there may have been one in there from the 70's too but I might be mistaken on that.

The camouflage design was identical from manufacturer to manufacturer but there were variations in both detail of the splotches (IMO due to how much ink was on the roller when printing) and dye color even within the same manufacturer.

The Geco and Raka ponchos tended toward lighter hues while Pausch and Mehler tended to be darker.

Colors observed were mid green, dark green, dark brown and slate grey. The slate grey might have just a tinge of green in it. Colors did not seem to correlate with dates in any way.

Material seemed to be identical regardless of manufacturer.

Manufacturer labels differed in how they indicated date ranging from a month and year stamped on the tag, to no indication of date (very few like this) to a year being printed on the tag with a month then stamped before the year (I only found Mehler examples marked in this fashion). Sometimes the month was spelled out but abbreviated, sometimes is was indicated with a number. Likewise, sometimes the year included a 19 but sometimes it did not.

Most were size II but a few were size I.

Some tags (not many) had one or more inspector stamps applied (typical eagle with wings surrounding inspector number).

Just a very few had one or two extraneous letters stamped on or near the manufacturer tag.

If anyone cares enough and wants pictures, I can take a few. However, due to the significant number of variations (even within the same manufacturer), I can't post every combination. I'll be selling these soon and the likelihood of someone crazy enough to look at this many ponchos at one time again is probably not going to happen any time soon. So, if you want any information, now is the time to ask.
    Last edited by BWilhelm; 01-04-2014, 12:28 AM.

Wilhelm, thanks for this information ! I´m a statistics friend also and its nice that others are that crazy too...

I´m actually working on things like the Feldessbesteck...

Jens

Comment

BWilhelm,

I'd interested in seeing as many photos from this large lot of snow cammo as you can reasonably take. A minimum of the makers marks would really be appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Sure thing Gordon.

Here are some manufacturer tags. Interestingly, some of the numbers vary between the tags. The Raka tag on the bottom is undated. The large area between the first number and the size is where it would have been. I included a size I in there (the Geco). Notice too inspection stamps at either end of the Pausch tag. All Mehler tags have the year printed and the month stamped. In this case, the month stamped poorly but I think it's an 11.

Here is a June of '63 dated Raka tag. Notice the extraneous stamp at the left of the tag that appears to be "X4":

Here are the Federal Eagle inspection stamps at either end of a Pausch stamp:

This photo shows the one of the little directional arrows of each manufacturer. These arrows were used to ensure that the panels were sewn together properly so that the grain of the camouflage pattern ran in the right direction. Notice that there are slight differences between the manufacturers. The top one is a Geco arrow. Notice how short the shaft of the arrow is on the top poncho....that means it's made by Geco. After you sort enough of these things, you can many times tell who made it without even looking at the tag because of little details such as this.

Two Mehler ponchos showing just how different the printing ink can be even from the same manufacturer. One is a brown while the other is a green. The color difference is even more apparent in person:

Another couple more photos showing some dye variations. Again, in person, the color differences are more apparent:

Comment

Interesting thread on the poncho ! I have just obtained a "RAKA" made 1963 dated example, unused....and very cheaply bought at just under £6 !
          Prost ! Steve.

Comment

BWilhelm,

Thanks for the very interesting pictures. Never found one of these at a reasonable price so didn't have an on hand reference for them. Sure do now.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Two last photos showing just how effective this pattern can be. Even at this close range, the clumps and lack of body lines really help to blend in with the landscape. Imagine how much more effective it is at distance:

Comment

I've always liked this pattern and great job on building a reference. As you can see very effective in real snow.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X