Camo Field Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camo Field Cap

I would appreciate any information on the use and era of this cap. I recently bought a collection and there were 3 pieces of BW headgear.

Thank you,
    Bob Hritz
    Attached Files
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Interior
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bob,

Playing the odds I'd say it is likely a commercial BGS (border guard) cap. I say "play the odds" because as far as I can tell about 2 billion have been made since the 1980s Seriously, there's a vast number of hats out there for decades.

The most common reproductions have a waterproofed fabric. The material, at least when new, has a little stiffness to it and the interior feels like the fabric has been treated. I have no idea what happens to the cloth when it is repeatedly washed and worn. Probably this coating breaks down and that might make it a little hard to confirm.

The only genuine ones I know of have one vent grommet on either side and a liner on the inside, which is why I don't think this one is genuine issue.

Genuine caps are very, very hard to find. They date from about 1958-1962 as far as I know. I've seen them sell for pretty close to $100 the few times they've popped up.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
        Hi Bob,

Playing the odds I'd say it is likely a commercial BGS (border guard) cap. I say "play the odds" because as far as I can tell about 2 billion have been made since the 1980s Seriously, there's a vast number of hats out there for decades.

The most common reproductions have a waterproofed fabric. The material, at least when new, has a little stiffness to it and the interior feels like the fabric has been treated. I have no idea what happens to the cloth when it is repeatedly washed and worn. Probably this coating breaks down and that might make it a little hard to confirm.

The only genuine ones I know of have one vent grommet on either side and a liner on the inside, which is why I don't think this one is genuine issue.

Genuine caps are very, very hard to find. They date from about 1958-1962 as far as I know. I've seen them sell for pretty close to $100 the few times they've popped up.

Steve
        Originals also (but not invariably) had a kokarde sewn to the front (the false flap). The absence of any indication of the same having been present and removed is potentially indicative of the recent manufacture.

There are some good, clear illustrations of the original in wear on the 'Beim alten Bundesgrenzschutz' site:-

http://www.beim-alten-bgs.de/

N

Comment

There are two holes that look like they had clutchback insignia, on the front of the cap.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Bob ,
            I would go with Steve on this one ,
            This is his field.
            owen

Comment

Thank you very much. Looks like the grand kids have another hat to play army.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Looks like one of the "original" Sturm Copies.

Comment

Bob,

We've discussed caps like this previously on the forum. They have been available for some time but more of them seem to be turning up lately. I have one in my collection that was given to me by another collector who had bought it as a TR piece.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Correct that the originals had standard diamond shaped "bullseye" and two buttons sewn onto the front. Though I've seen some genuine examples with them missing, Nachrichten is correct that there would be evidence of that. I meant to say the two holes look to be about right for a standard BW Schirmmütze cockade.

When I was in Germany in 1992 I purchased a hat like this and somewhere in a box I have one which is dated in the 1980s. The thing that has always puzzled me is how there can be SO MANY of these made over such a long period of time, consistently, and with the same odd water proofed cloth. Cloth that was never used by the BGS as far as I know.

My only guess here is that someone made this cloth for the BGS just prior to them dropping the camo in 1976. Runs of cloth are generally done in hundreds, or thousands, of meters. Can you imagine how many hats you can make with 1000m x 60cm (I think that's average width) cloth?!? I can easily see Sturm still working through stocks of fabric they purchased for a few Pfening per meter

One thing is very sure. If cloth is printed it is eventually used by someone for something. The Communist Poles even took surplus military cloth, ran it through a simple overprint roller, and then used it for Fire Brigades, "Boy Scouts", etc.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X