Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post War K98 Pouch

Hello everyone,

About a month ago I bought what I thought was an original mid to late war K98 pouch, but turns out I bought a Post war made model. Are these rare? I have not seen many of them around. Lemme know what you guys think!

Sam
    Attached Files
    Last edited by THATGUY; 05-13-2012, 05:43 PM.

Hi Sam,

While I don't know if you'd call them rare, they are very hard to come by.

Rarer still is the pouch that succeeded them, the canvas pouch developed to hold the G-1 magazine.

A pair of post-war Kar98k pouches is indeed a rare find. A pair marked "Joseph Moll 1953" was hotly contested on eBay just over a month ago. They were at $75.00 with no sign of slowing down when I finally gave up.

In any event, I applaud your acquisition and wish you the best of luck in finding a mate.

All the best,
    TJ
    Attached Files

Comment

Here's the front view of one of my post-war pouches.
      Attached Files

Comment

And the rear view.
        Attached Files

Comment

The rest of the pics... Yours looks very different from mine Thomas.. I wonder if this is even post war or not.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sam,

You are correct Sir!

Mine is a re-worked wartime pouch that retains its TR RB number: RB Nr. 8/0570/0033.

What distinguishes it as a piece of BGS gear it the stamp inside - 1(2/GSG 1). This stands for "II. Grenzschutzabteilungen der Grenzschutzgruppe".

I'm still on the hunt for some post-war made pouches like yours.

All the best,
            TJ
            Attached Files

Comment

THATGUY,

As TJ says, your pouch ius definitely a post war one. You would not expect ot find the GmbH markings on a war time pouch. The makers mark, as shows up on TJs reworked pouch, is what I would expect to see on a war time pouch. GmbH is a commercial marking used in West Germany.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                THATGUY,

As TJ says, your pouch ius definitely a post war one. You would not expect ot find the GmbH markings on a war time pouch. The makers mark, as shows up on TJs reworked pouch, is what I would expect to see on a war time pouch. GmbH is a commercial marking used in West Germany.

Regards,

Gordon
                Gordon,
                I think you got a wrong Info by somebody!

GmbH means - Limited Liability Company.
                The laws governing this type of legal entity were adopted in Germany in 1892, and in Austria in 1906.
                So Wartime is Possible for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
                  Sam,

You are correct Sir!

Mine is a re-worked wartime pouch that retains its TR RB number: RB Nr. 8/0570/0033.

What distinguishes it as a piece of BGS gear it the stamp inside - 1(2/GSG 1). This stands for "II. Grenzschutzabteilungen der Grenzschutzgruppe".

I'm still on the hunt for some post-war made pouches like yours.

All the best,
                  TJ
                  TJ,
                  to me, the Stamp looks like a 12/GSG 1, means: 12th GSA of the GSG 1. A GSA had a normal Strength of 600 Men, and was organised like a Bn. in the Bundeswehr.
                  Several GSA's formed a GSG, except for the GSG9 what was a smaller Unit as of it's special Anti-Terrorist Roll.
                  A GSA was divided into "Hundertschaften", like a Company.
                  Last edited by uscob; 05-14-2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
                    And the rear view.
                    Looks like the ring was added later. I know that the Bundeswehr and the BGS had Pouches without the ring for Parade Duty as they didn't used a Y-Strap.
                    Somewhere I must have some old Wachbataillon Pouches in Plain black Leather, not the pebbled.

Comment

These undated pouches made by ACKVA have been discussed many times over the years on the equipment forum, most recently in this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=509546

The majority consensus seems to point to these being post-war made, but the evidence has always been circumstantial at best - i.e., the pouches are nearly always found in near mint condition, with post-war issue stamps, etc. So far I have not seen anyone producing actual documentary proof that ACKVA, which made plenty of K98 pouches during the war and marked them using a variety of stamps, made these particular ones only after the war.

Given that vast numbers of K98 pouches were made during the war, and some quantities of unissued equipment did obviously survive the war, plus the fact that armed German organizations like the BGS were known to have recycled rifles, helmets and who-knows-what-else during the early post-war years, I don't think we can completely eliminate the war-time origin of these pouches based on circumstantial evidence alone.

Regardless, they are pretty interesting artifacts one way or the other.

Gene T

Comment

G.m.b.H.= Gesellschaft mit beschrankter Haftung (translates to"...........incorporated") I agree...likely a ww2 version IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                          G.m.b.H.= Gesellschaft mit beschrankter Haftung (translates to"...........incorporated") I agree...likely a ww2 version IMO.
                          Not really, incorporated means Eingetragen, means a registered Corporation.
                          see Post 8

Comment

juoneen,

As I said earlier, you are not likely find this marking on wartime pouches. Just post war ones. Wartime pouches were usually maker marked, or in some instances unmarked.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Postwar K98 pouches

I just picked these up.

Can anyone confirm if these are postwar, Bundeswehr or BGS?
                              Only one of the three pouches has any markings, it starts with a P B Nr and ends with 33. Can't make out the rest.
                              Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X