A look at current Polizei uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A look at current Polizei uniforms

I now have a decent collection of current issue Polizei items which, I thought, I would share some pictures and details. I am not sure how much this uniform is standardized across Germany, but my guess is the basic uniform is nearly identical from Staat to Staat. The Einsatz items in the past tended to range from similar to identical, depending on item and which two Staats were being compared. My guess is this is probably the same now.

General comment. Collectors be aware that everything you know about Polizei tags is not applicable here. Many are in English only, made by companies with English names, lack care instructions, have no dates, etc. They are very inconsistent across the items pictured. All my items are 100% genuine and in used condition, so I can say with authority that at least the current items are very differently labeled than earlier ones.

NOTE!!!! I have obscured the Polizei symbols. I don't want anybody into trouble for providing me with these things. I was too lazy to move the badges from uniform to uniform so many are "naked". Also, I have a new camera and am not good at controlling the settings indoors. Some pictures are, therefore, not very good.

First up, the standard Dienstanzug:

Jacke. Buttons are cheap, single piece, "hammered" silver. Gone are the old pebblegrain buttons There are two velcro backings on the sleeves to allow the badges to be moved from uniform to uniform. It likely reduces overall costs since a Staat or Stadt doesn't have to order their own uniforms with sewn on badges. Rank is similar to the old uniform in that it is buttoned on.

Hemd and Krawatte. White or black shirt in either long or short sleeves. The left breast pocket has "POLIZEI" in reflective letters, while a velcro backed nametag is over the right breast pocket. There is a slotted pocket above and behind the left breast pocket. As with the jacket there are velcro backings sewn to each arm, but for smaller badges than for the service jacket. The shirts have plain epaulettes on them and take a slipon style rank slide.

Hose. Trousers are made from the same material as the jacket. Stripe down the leg, which is probably the only feature that is common with pre 1976 uniforms.

Schirmmütze. Gone is the traditional rounded style and instead is this more American looking replacement. The material is more like a plastic/nylon than a fabric. The band is made from reflective material with a thatched non reflective material over it. Without direct light (like my camera's flash) it's very subtle.

Einsatz and other items:

Gortexjacke. Similar to the various models used in the 1990s and later. Lots of interesting pockets and features. Reflective features around the pockets and concealable reflective wrist and lower hem sections. Zip in liner. Arm and rank badges are same as the service jacket.

Pulli (zippered). Heavy duty sweater with features one would expect. Uses the same rank and arm badges as the shirts. Polizei goes over one pocket, name over the other. I've seen these with POLIZEI either over right or left pockets. The POLIZEI piece itself is velcroed on, but the backings for this patch and the name are different sizes so there is no choice about which pocket it goes over. Rank and arm badges are same as the shirt.

Pulli (pull over). Similar to above, but without the zippered front.

Einsatzhose. High polyester count trousers with lots of pockets. Seems pretty rugged, but with some wear they start to get a gray shine to them.

Strickmütze. I really, really like this one! It's already well below freezing where I live and this is a great hat to wear around inside and out. I even fell asleep in mine last night and woke up with it still on my head. I'm going to have to get a bunch more of these

I hope you enjoyed the quick tour!

Steve
    Last edited by Collectinsteve; 10-28-2011, 11:46 PM.

From time to Time I get the new stuff too, but don't keep them.
    The Trousers come with and Without the Stripes and there are still differences on the different Countries. Also round Caps are available. The Sweaters are nice for Work but have a Problem with washing, they get bigger with the time.
    I had some of them with Sizes of 3 Numbers higher as stated on the Label.

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the tour of the new uniforms. That visor cap has to go! Got to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen. The original uniform scheme proposed a light blue shirt but this was not adopted.
      Here are some pictures of these, and other, blue polizei uniforms in wear. From the badges on the guy on your right, the guys in blue are special polizei.

Regards,

Gordon
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
        Steve,

Got to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen.
        @Gordon: You nailed it!!!!!! Bye-bye German uniform tradition...

@Steve: Anyway, great set of authentic police uniform. As far as I know, very hard to find!

Comment

The only good news is that Bavaria (ever conservative) and, I think, Saarland, have retained the old uniforms.

Comment

RJKG,

I knew that Bavaria was a hold out but I didn't know about the Saarland was not changing over.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

RJKG is correct. Bayern and Saarland will keep the beige/green uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                Steve,

Thanks for the tour of the new uniforms. That visor cap has to go! Got to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen. The original uniform scheme proposed a light blue shirt but this was not adopted.
                Here are some pictures of these, and other, blue polizei uniforms in wear. From the badges on the guy on your right, the guys in blue are special polizei.

Regards,

Gordon
                Car 54 where are you?

Not much evidence of 'German Tradition' here. Maybe it's so the Gen Ys' will know they are police, ie 'Blue' = 'police'.

Can't see myself collecting any of this stuff.

N

Comment

The new generic blue uniforms are the end of the old Prussian Muster tradition it seems. No doubt they are more comfortable to wear but not something I would want to collect either.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X