X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Trip to Europe in 2011

Gentlemen,

In the past I have taken part in a trip to Germany with members of the DDR Forum. There was more than one trip and usually a city was picked to stay in as the home base and then outings were planned from there. An apartment would be rented large enough to house the entire group. This kept the cost of accommodation down to a reasonable amount. Arrival has been on a Thursday and departure on a Sunday. Some of the guys brought their wives and after the militaria group gathering spent a couple of weeks touring Europe. My wife intends to accompany me this time but will probably spend the time I am searching for militaria etc visiting friends in Budapest.
    I would like to know who, if anyone, would be interested in making such a trip. It doesn't have to be a large group. The trip I took part in was composed of only three people. I'd like suggestions of what such a group meeting might do while in Germany. The program would need to be agreed on by those who would attend. I would take the responsibility of renting the apartment. On the trip I participated in we stayed in Leipzig so we could go to the very large Flea Market that is held there each weekend. It was wall-to-wall militaria. I took an empty suitcase with me and had trouble getting it closed when I had to leave. We also spent half a day at the BW Museum in Dresden. I intend to go this summer regardless but it is always more interesting to go on one of these with fellow collectors.

Regards,

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
    Leipzig so we could go to the very large Flea Market that is held there each weekend.
    Gordon, be aware that this fleamarket only takes place once a month, normally the last weekend each month. You can check the dates here: www.abuha.de

Comment

Gran Sasso,

Thanks for that. I had forgotten that.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gentlemen,

After Klaus's email on the Deutshces Zoll Museum I am adding that as a list places to visit on my trip. Also tentatively planned are visits to the Polizei Museum in Hamburg and Deutsches Marinemuseum at Wilhelmshaven.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gentlemen,

After Klaus's email on the Deutshces Zoll Museum I am adding that as a list places to visit on my trip. Also tentatively planned are visits to the Polizei Museum in Hamburg and Deutsches Marinemuseum at Wilhelmshaven.

Regards,

Gordon
          There is new navy museum at Hamburg, the biggest collection in europe, if not the world.

Comment

Gran Sasso,

Thanks again for this information.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

I've got Polizei friends in S-H that I've wanted to visit, along with a good friend in Copenhagen and northern Belgium. So for me a trip to northern Germany would be enticing.

The significant museums I can think of up in that area are the BGS Museum in Lübeck and, not terribly far away, Panzermuseum Munster.

http://www.luebeck.de/tourismus/kult...utz/index.html
              http://www.panzermuseum-munster.de/

Considering that where I live is 4 hours to the nearest large city, these two museums are right on top of each other

There is also apparently some other museum in Lübeck related to Cold War border control:

http://www.luebeck.de/tourismus/kult...tup/index.html

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                There is new navy museum at Hamburg, the biggest collection in europe, if not the world.
                Here is the link:

http://www.peter-tamm-sen.de/

Comment

Gordon,
                  If you are going to Munich, please let me know.

Maybe I can catch you there for a few beers

Cheers,
                  Phil

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the suggestions for museums to visit.

Steve,

I've always wanted to visit the Panzer museum in in Munster. I've trolled their site numerous times. It would be great to have some fellow forum memebers along on the trip and very helpful to have their input as to places they would like to visit. I'll have to get my maps out and do some logistical planning for locations of museums and try and get some kind of an idea of what is do-able.

Phil,

It would be great to meet you in person. No real idea yet as to where in Germany I/we will be on this proposed trip. Depends who intends to sign on and where they want to go.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon,

reading all these proposals your trip needs to last 4 - 5 weeks ...

Regards,

Jens

Comment

I'll have to get my maps out and do some logistical planning for locations of museums and try and get some kind of an idea of what is do-able.
                        If you need some help for making a plan, let me know. I have done simular trips in the past 20 years all over europe.

Comment

4-5 weeks? To have that much vacation time I'd probably have to be in Europe already The last time I had 2 weeks off in a row as 1997. We Americans really don't know how to take care of ourselves.

Steve

Originally posted by Asbjoern View Post
                          Gordon,

reading all these proposals your trip needs to last 4 - 5 weeks ...

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Hi Gordon

There is also a Marinemuseum in Dänholm in the former DDR ( near Rügen )
                            This is the museum where they have the Volksmarine Schellenbaum .

http://marinemuseum-daenholm.beepwor...bum?aid=115284

Regards , Johan

Comment

Johan,

Thanks for the latest museum. To see all of these interesting places would take two (perhaps more) trips. Plus there are several museums that have not been mentioned yet that I would like to visit.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X