Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe patches

Gents:
    I'm looking for some guidance/opinions as to what types of unit patches were worn on the leather flight jacket. Specifically, were squadron anniversery-type patches worn? For example, AG-51's 30th year patch? Or the Last Call for the original AG-51?

Personally, I really like this one. AG-51 Immelmann was decommissioned as an F-4 Squadron and then recommissioned as a Tornado squadron. The original AG-51 Owl was replaced by the former AG-52 Panther (AG-52 was also decommissioned). I can only imagine that the 'new' AG-51 Panthers were formed from former AG-52 members not wishing to lose their squadron patch?

The new/current AG-51 Immelmann flies Tornado's

Last Call for Phabulous Phantoms of AG-51 and AG-52, circa 1990s
    Last edited by SprogCollector; 09-11-2010, 09:38 AM.

A bit of further reading and it appears the Tornado aircraft equipping the 'new' AG-51 were actually Marine Tornados of the decommissioned MFG-5.

Comment

When MFG 1 (not MFG 5, the helicopter wing still exists), AG 51 and AG 52 were decomissioned in the beginning of the 90s, at former MFG 1 home base Jagel the AG 51 (new) was formed, taking over some MFG 1 Tornados but not all, the rest went to MFG 2. The wing's inventory was filled up with Tornados from the Luftwaffe. Actually, the Navy transferred the best birds to MFG 2 and handed over only the older ones ...

Personnel came mainly from AG 52 but also from MFG 1 (they changed the uniform) and JaboG 41, which was also decommissioned at that time. The flight crew living in Northern Germany got a chance to stay with the new wing, and the pilots and WSOs of AG 51 (old) mainly tried to be transferred to other wings in the Souh.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X