No announcement yet.

Shoulder strap loops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good summary of the identification problems, Gordon. Toss in sunlight as a fading factor on top of manufacturing differences... it can get even more difficult.

As Gordon pointed out with Uscha's uniform, a qualification badge does not necessarily mean the soldier is currently assigned to a unit/specialty that typically sees such special qualifications. For example, I've seen plenty of US Army uniforms with Jump qualification badges and unit badges with no airborne capabilities. I've seen the Airborne qualification tab above non-Airborne units. Etc.

The usual case is the soldier was in an Airborne unit of some type earlier in is career and has since changed units. Since a qualification, once earned, remains with the soldier for the rest of his career, when he changes units the badges go with him regardless of the new unit's composition. However, the Bundeswehr only allows two badges to be worn over the right breast pocket, so if the soldier earns a third one is "retired" from his uniform. In that case he's likely to retire the one least relevant to his current posting, I should guess.

The other case is that career NCOs and Officers often get themselves into a qualification program simply for the personal challenge and/or to help "climb the ladder" of promotions. I've know plenty of US Army personnel that have done this sort of thing.

What you do not usually see are the highly specialized qualification badges on uniforms not directly associated with those skills. For example, you will not see "Rigger" or "Jump Master" badges on a uniform from a non-airborne unit. And if you do, then it can be assumed that the soldier previously served a long time in an airborne unit. Others, like EOD, dog handler, etc. fit into this group.

I guess this is one reason collecting uniform stuff is fun

Steve

Comment

Hi,

I don't know, is it help or confusion, what i do here?

First, the "Schlaufe aus geklöppelter Flachlitze (Breite: 0,4 cm)" is not only for the field uniform. You need it also for the Blouson and for the Pullover.

Second, the colour for the Technische Truppe is not light blue, it is mid-blue (medium blue).

Light blue had been the colour for the Quartiermeistertruppe.

See the picture for the differences:

Quartiermeistertruppe (Q) = light blue
      Technische Truppen (TTr) = mid-blue
      Sanitätstruppe (SanTr) = dark blue

Gordon, I think, that the colour on your first jacket is not dark blue. It could be a technician in the medical troops with the wrong (later added?) Tätigkeitsabzeichen.
      That is dark blue on a jacket of a female Stabsunteroffizier:

Uwe

Comment

Uwe,

I don't know, is it help or confusion, what i do here?
        Even if it makes my head hurt, it is helpful

Your picture shows how much easier it is to identify things when they are right next to each other. Well, except for the last row of Quartiermeistertruppe badges in your picture. Those don't look to be the same color. I would call the 1st and 3rd "gray" even.

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

Of course, unless original poster posts his uniform, it could be hard to say which blue it is.

regards
          Klaus

Comment

The photo of the tunic is a good example
            For example by wearing the wrong badge.
            The Dutch parachutist badge (not military)
            Has to be under the German insignia.

regards Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kurt View Post
              The photo of the tunic is a good example
              For example by wearing the wrong badge.
              The Dutch parachutist badge (not military)
              Has to be under the German insignia.

regards Kurt
              yes thats right.normaly the foreign badge comes under the german badge.
              regards
              uscha

Comment

And is it now, or ever before, standard to wear the qualification badge overlapping the top of the pocket? I thought they were supposed to be just above the top of the pocket?

Steve

Comment

Collectinsteve,

Textbook is not.
                  But that's OK, and is also supported Sun
                  Not paratrooper with a foreign badges, are also ridiculed by German paratroopers.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kurt View Post
                    Not paratrooper with a foreign badges, are also ridiculed by German paratroopers.
                    thats right too.the most think:you are a"möchte gern"para soldier.möchte gern=would like but can not.but its the only way for a german (not para)soldier to make a para badge.go to netherland,france or poland etc.and make a foreign para training course.in 1995 i was ca.2 1/2 month in france(straßbourg) by the "eurokorps"for a big military exercice called"pegasus 95".i found a para center in the near of straßbourg to make the french para badge but no time to make it.
                    regards
                    uscha

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X