Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundeswehr Optical Sight?

Gentlemen,

I bought this optical sight years ago as being for a BW sniper rifle. I doubted that very mcu from day one but was interesting so I kept it. The only markings on the sight are a serial number "0 755" on the mount. There are four machine screws on the mount and all have "RIBE DRP GB" on the head. My questions are;
    1-Was it used by the BW?; and
    2-What was it used on?

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

Never had the sights, but the Carrier. For sure not Sniper.
    I think to remember that the pouches are for the Karl Gustav Bazooka or so.

Comment

Gordon,

It looks like something that is side mounted to a heavy weapon, such as an AT launcher. I haven't looked too closely, but I'd say it's not a Panzerfaust 3 sight and not a modern Carl Gustav model either. But the Carl Gustav was made over a long period of time so I can't rule that out.

Here's a picture of a sight on a Carl Gustav. Notice how much more involved it is:

Whatever it is it looks like the weapon had a pretty fixed, and probably short, range. Notice that there are no adjustments for distance and windage. It's also a siderail type, which IIRC is not what G3s used. Most rifles use top mounted.

Steve

Comment

Nico and Steve,

This is a very simple sight, as Steve has said, and more of a point-and-shoot thing that a real sight. Poor amplification and field of view. If I was going to use one of these I'd be more likely to throw it at someone rather than use it as a sighting device!

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon,

it is an older sight for the "leichte Panzerfaust" Modell 44-1. Bundeswehr.

http://glob.egloos.com/2307320

http://free.pages.at/mjasper/seiten/waffen/lpf.htm

The Modell 44-1 A1 has a different mounting.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Zfpzf44_2.jpg

Uwe

Comment

Uwe,

Great information! The funny thing is I was trying to look up that particular Panzerfaust version, but I couldn't remember what it was called. I thought it was Panzerfaust 1 or Panzerfaust 2. Of course this did not produce good results when searching

Steve

Comment

Uwe,

Thanks for the great information. Especially the pictures of the weapon. There are two small brushes in the case that contains the sight. One is a small "paint brush" design which is probably used to clean the lenses of the sight. The other one looks more like an "L" shaped bore brush. I had no idea what this brush could be used for until I saw the weapon the sight fits on. The projectile appears to have been fired by discharging a blank round to ignite the propellant. The bore brush is probably used to clean the blank firing apparatus. Intersting to see how the sight case is carried on the sling. There are two sets of loops on the back of the case. One set obviously allowed the case to be carried on the belt. The other one baffled me until I saw the pictures you posted with the case carried on the weapon sling. Great stuff as usual.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon - Here's another image (taken from Der Reibert) showing the optics case dangling from the sling.

Nico or Jens - Do you know where Gordon can pick up a de-milled Panzerfaust to go along with his sight?

Uwe - I didn't know you had mastered Korean in addition to your many other talents!

All the best - TJ
                Attached Files

Comment

Pick up a de-milled Panzerfaust 44??

On first sight a hard job...hand held weapon weren`t put on the surplus market at any time (officially) and even the parts not coverd by weapons law weren`t sold since at least two years. Anything is melted down ...

BUT in reality last year I found a firm advertising demiled PzF 44 at eGun I would have bought one ... but they called over 400,- Euros . A bit to much for me for a non functional item They may have sold this lot as the add didn`t come up again after a time but you can see that this is possible... maybe easier then picking up a real MG 3!! Parts plus jugo casings are easily availible, but original MG3 are very hard to get ...

Jens

Comment

I think there is one at my "local" surplus shop. I know he's got a bunch of deactivated AT weapons, including an original Panzerscrheck with shield. I'll double check what he's got when I go there next.

Jens,

Yes, gun parts kits are very easy to get here in the US. I have a couple Yugo M53 kits and even a couple MG1/2 kits. I've seen parts and accessories for MG3s, but never a full MG3 kit.

You're right, the heavy weapons stuff is pretty hard to get a hold of. I saw a bunch of demilled PRG-7Vs for sale recently. Every once and a while you can find a demilled 37mm Bofors or a 20mm Lahti (working and not), however the prices are always quite high.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
                      Gordon - Here's another image (taken from Der Reibert) showing the optics case dangling from the sling.

Nico or Jens - Do you know where Gordon can pick up a de-milled Panzerfaust to go along with his sight?

Uwe - I didn't know you had mastered Korean in addition to your many other talents!

All the best - TJ
                      Thanks TJ. Always appreciate more reference info.
                      I don't know that I would bother to buy a demilled one. Certainly not at 400 Euro. I'm happy with my WWII Panzfaust.

Jens,

Not much in the way of MG3's over hear any more. Used to be some kicking around. A friend of mine had three he used to shoot. Nothing available now but MG3 ground mounts.

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X