Waffen SS Re-Tread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen SS Re-Tread

I was rummaging through some boxes down in the bunker when I came across a leather wallet/secretary that was used by my Spiess. It held everything from money to pictures. When I left, he gave it to me. I always found it interesting as it has an embossed eagle in the leather with the SS runes added in ink before it was "converted" over to the Bundeswehr. Thought you and maybe the SS guys would find this interesting.
    Attached Files

Here are some before and after. He joined in 1938 and served until 1945. rejoined in 1957 and served until 1977! The Christmas photo says 1962 on the reverse. He is the one opening up something to the right (with less hair!)
    Attached Files

Comment

This is too neat - many thanks for sharing.

Comment

Kondor - Very interesting indeed. Did your Spiess have trouble adjusting to the Bundeswehr?

I'd imagine the changes had to be enormous for an individual with his background.

Thanks - TJ
        Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 04-12-2010, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Actually not, he was glad to be "home" in the defense forces. From 48-57 (released from POW status in 48), he worked laying land lines for the Bundespost, however he was always concerned for the security of the nation as he didn't trust the Russians for some reason! He said they were looking for the combat vets to train up the new recruits to be ready in case they came over the border. I learned a lot from this man and have always been gratefull.

Comment

Kondor - Thanks for the follow-up information. I'm glad your experience was a good one.

All the best - TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X