Leopard II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leopard II

Here is a picture of me taken in 1987 at Baumholder with the crew of a Leopard II.
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Here is another one moving at speed, also at Baumholder.
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Man, what a beauty! (Sorry Willi, I was refering to the tank...)

We hear so much about the East German Army's role as the true inheritors of all that was well and good in German military tradition, apparently due to their fondness of stone gray and the goose step.

But from my foxhole, the Bundeswehr past and present espouses the best of German military tradition by virtue of the following:
              - The Leopard II Main Battle Tank, direct descendent of the Tiger and Panther - arguably the finest tank ever conceived of by mankind.
              - The Marder Infantry Fighting Vehicle, which would in turn spawn development of the American Bradley and British Warrior.
              - “Aufstragtaktik” – The mission type orders used in one form or another by every Western Army.

Getting back to the Leo 2, I think only prolonged use in hard combat will allow it to take and hold the "best of the best" title from the Abrams and Challenger (although they always kicked our butts in the "Boeslager", forgive my poor spelling, and the Canadian Army Cup shoot back in the 80s...)

What say you tankers, I know you're never shy about sharing your opinion about who's the best....

Thanks for the pictures Willi - TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
                Man, what a beauty! (Sorry Willi, I was refering to the tank...)

We hear so much about the East German Army's role as the true inheritors of all that was well and good in German military tradition, apparently due to their fondness of stone gray and the goose step.

But from my foxhole, the Bundeswehr past and present espouses the best of German military tradition by virtue of the following:
                - The Leopard II Main Battle Tank, direct descendent of the Tiger and Panther - arguably the finest tank ever conceived of by mankind.
                - The Marder Infantry Fighting Vehicle, which would in turn spawn development of the American Bradley and British Warrior.
                - “Aufstragtaktik” – The mission type orders used in one form or another by every Western Army.

Getting back to the Leo 2, I think only prolonged use in hard combat will allow it to take and hold the "best of the best" title from the Abrams and Challenger (although they always kicked our butts in the "Boeslager", forgive my poor spelling, and the Canadian Army Cup shoot back in the 80s...)

What say you tankers, I know you're never shy about sharing your opinion about who's the best....

Thanks for the pictures Willi - TJ
                I second that montion the Leo 2 was and still is the best of the best as far as I'm concernd. I was on the a M60A2 from 82 to 86, can't tell you about the M-1 it was still known as the MXA1 while I took Basic at Ft. Knox.

Joe
                3/4 Cav A comp. 1st Plt.
                Sch Brk. HI 1982-1986

Comment

A few more photos. This one was taken at the Panzer unit in Koblenz.
                  Attached Files
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Baumholder again.
                    Attached Files
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Wow!! I lived in Baumholder back in the late 60's-early 70's and used to love watching the M60s and early Leopards rip it up!! The Leo II's are just plain awesome!!

Comment

Dana - Welcome to the WAF BRD Forum!

Thanks for making your first post on the BRD side. We know you have a choice when booking your flight and we'd like to thank you for booking with the BRD....

Whenever it's about to rain my left thumb starts to ache, a legacy from an FTX at Baumholder ("the Rock") when I jammed my hand in a M113 cargo hatch. I think the 113 I was riding on joined the Army when Elvis did, and like you, I gazed upon my Bundeswehr brethern in their Leos and Marders with a mixture of awe and envy.

Again, welcome abroad and we look forward to hearing from you again.

All the best - TJ

P.S. - Here's a picture of me on Easter Sunday 1987 at Hohenfels, another BRD hot spot.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The Germany Armed Forces pulled out all the stops in getting Leopard 2A6Ms to theCanadian Army for service in Afghanistan - excellent support to an ally. This picture is a Leo 2A6M in Kandahar...

MIke
                            Attached Files

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for posting the photo of the Leopard above in Canadian service. We have been too long without a tank!

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X