Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW Flying Unit Cuff Titles

Greetings Bundesrepublik collectors,

Can you help me with information on Bundeswehr Luftwaffe flying unit cuff titles? I did a search, but didn't find what I was looking for (or perhaps I overlooked it). Here's the limit of my knowledge...

Geschwader Immelmann (AG 51), 21 Apr 61 - ??
    Geschwader Boelcke (JG 31), 21 Apr 61 - ??
    Geschwader Richtofen (JG 71), 21 Apr 61 - ??
    Geschwader Molders (JG 74), 22 Nov 73 - 28 Jan 05
    Geschwader Steinhoff (JG 73), 18 Sep 97 - ??

Questions:
    - Is the above information correct?
    - Were any other flying unit CTs authorized?
    - Except for 'Molders', are these CTs still authorized for wear today?
    - If so, are they a tightly controled issue item, or can they be easily purchased as needed?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Scott C.; 06-25-2009, 11:36 AM.

I recently got an immelman, an udet, and another I should post, but am unsure if they are ww2 or post war, since you brought this up. Should i post them , or is this hijacking your thread? Hopefully the question will still get answered, seems to me there should be more than that.
    have you seen this area? http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/unif...tles/Udet.html Ill bet gordon williamson will know.
    Last edited by juoneen; 06-24-2009, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks Juoneen, but I'm interested in learning about post-WWII (Bundeswehr) Luftwaffe cuff titles specific to flying units. If you can contribute to this subject, I would be most interested.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        i WROTE :
        I recently got an immelman, an udet, and another I should post, but am UNSURE IF they are ww2 or post war, BUT i guess ill just start a thread, as sometimes posting photos get you more answers on the subjects. Soprry you dont think it relates.

Comment

Juoneen, If you wish to post your cuff titles here for opinion, please feel free to do so - perhaps it will spark further interest in my quest for information on these things.

Comment

Just discovered the topic.

Your list in post 1 is correct, I just can't proof from memory when the respective cuff titles were awarded.

All except the "Mölders" CT are worn today, on my uniform You can find the "Geschwader Steinhoff" CT ...

As a member of the Luftwaffe, You can buy every CT You want. But You are only allowed to wear the one of the wing You belong to, and only for the time You actually are assigned to this wing. If You leave the wing, You have to remove the CT.

Comment

It would be cool to see the present titles to see how they compare. I posted the ones mentioned under luftwaffe awards.
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...15#post3339615

Comment

Juoneen,

I only have two of the post war cuffbands with me, the rest are in storage in Canada while I am living in Europe. There two issue types. One for enlisted men that are embroidered in grey thread and one for officers that are embroidered in silver bullion thread. There is anothe type which is for enlisted men that appears to be of a private purchase type. This is of a better grade of embroidered thread. I have one of this private purchase type on a uniform in storage but no photos with me. I'll post a photo of an enlisted mans cuffband not on a uniform for Richtofen and one on a uniform from Steinhoff.
                But first, to some background on the cuffbands. On 21 April, 1961 Generalleutnant Josef Kammhuber presented Bundewehr cuffbands to commemorate WWI squadrons Immelmann, Boelcke and Richtofen. The picture below shows the cuffbands being presented to Oberstleutnant Hartman, Oberst Barkhorn and Oberst Grasemann as squadron commanders.
                The photo is from the book "Die Bundeswehr und ihre Uniformen" by J-M Hormann.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Gordon Craig; 06-27-2009, 06:51 AM.

Comment

On 22 November 1973, the 32nd anniversary of Molders death, Jgdgeschwader 74 was awarded the title "Molders". Pictured below from "German Military Cuffbands 1784-Present" is a picture of all four of the mentioned cuffbands.
                  Attached Files

Comment

On September 18, 1997, the Federal Minister of Defense Volker Ruhe announced that Jagdgeschwader 73 would bear the title of Geschwader Steinhoff.
                    Pictured below is a cuffband from this squadron on a tunic in mycollection. Sorry the picture isn't better but the writing is in very high releif silver bullion wire.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The West German's did not follw previous customs and sew the ends of the cuffbands into the sleeve seam. This is unfortunate because it makes it much easier for people to add cuffbands to BW uniforms. Here is a photo of the Geschwader Steinhoff cuffband showing how the ends are secured to the sleeve.
                      Attached Files

Comment

An enlisted man's cuffband from Geschwader Richtofen. Embroidered in grey thread. Uncut length is 46cm x 3.2 cm.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The back of the Richtofen cuffband. All of the BW cuffbands I have seen are finished with a full length piece of cloth on the reverse.

Regards,

Gordon
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Gordon and RamJet. I just picked up this group and my curiosity was piqued about their history and use.

Anyone have an "Immelmann" they want to part with?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Scott - Nice collection. I hope you fill that missing gap soon.

TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X