No announcement yet.

BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My BGS-friend also said that no one in the BGS liked them and that they were usually in the bottom of the field pack where they stayed.......unused. He said that they did not keep you dry with the sides open and no hood. The BGS must have thought that these would be the perfect replacement for the zelts and ordered "a million " of them! That would explain why there are so many in mint condition on the market, and why so many have BGS trooper's names in them.

When I saw them at the SG for such a low price, I had to pick up a couple. The camo makes a great backdrop for displays at least!

Comment

Early GSG 9 Beret?

Does this look like an EARLY GSG 9 Beret, or what?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200969314334...84.m1439.l2649

Timo

Comment

It's a Spanish made beret, which means it is not genuine BGS issue. However, it could be a private purchase beret. I know some BW soldiers have their own berets.

The badge and color are correct for 1970s, I think. They moved from the eagle to the standard metal star badge that is also on field and service caps.

Steve

Comment

Gentlemen,

I've seen a few caps, like this beret, for sale lately with the top half of the BGS metal two piece visor cap badge. The BGS never wore berets with a metal cap badge and certainly not with half of the visor cap badge. The BGS wear an embroidered version of the star on their berets.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Hi Gordon,

That's true for rank and file BGS, but not GSG-9 members. I've got several pictures of GSG-9 members from the 1970s through perhaps early 2000s who wear the metal eagle badge on their beret instead of the standard embroidered (more recent) or metal star (older). Most famously, Ulrich Wegener is seen almost exclusively with that type of beret.

Having said that, I expect that many of the ones on eBay are "put togethers". That's because you can pretty much take any green colored beret, including a standard BGS type, and put the metal eagle on it and nobody would know the difference.

Steve

Comment

I confirmed use of this sort of beret as late as the early 2000s. An officer was wearing one with the green uniform and Polizei type rank, but before the BGS was reorganized as the Bundespolizei.

Here's a picture of Wegener and two other officers with the beret:

This is a pretty famous pic, but this is where I got it from:

http://www.kameramuseum.de/fotogaler...is/wegener.htm

And another one and it's source:

http://www.heinzjonas.beim-alten-bgs...s_1978_7-9.htm

Note that I have not seen a confirmation of the metal "star" badge being worn by BGS members. However, I am sure I have one in my collection that is a BGS beret with 4 prong holes (like BW). But I will try to confirm that because maybe it is just a BW beret that someone stuck the badge onto.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

How did I miss this before? Never seen these particular photos but there are pictures of Wegener, and one other GSG 9 guy (although what cap badge this other guy is wearing is not clear) in my copy of Der BGS by Reinhard Scholzen. Now we have to find an authentic one of these berets. While we are at it lets go through some BGS berets from my collection.

First, a sealed pattern from Bamberger for regular BGS wear.
                Attached Files

Comment

The seal and the tag for this beret.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A private purchase beret with an embroidered badge. Praesidents beret and badge.
                    Attached Files

Comment

A private purchase beret with silver metal star. You mentioned this type of beret Steve but I do not know how prevalent the wearing of this type of star was on the beret. Certainly worn on the M43 style cap.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The private purchase berets have a leather section behind the cap badge so any metal prongs that are pushed through the cloth of the beret do not come into contact with the head.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The metal cap eagle for the top part of the two piece visor cap badge.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Got it today!

BOOM! GSG-9 all the way. Private purchase beret with a (remains of) a BW / BGS sweat shield in the tear drop shape! Small interior tag with the size number.
                            It appears to be very genuine; sadly the name is not in the pocket of the sweat shield.

The Eagle is a beauty too and much more solid.

I will post a few pics when I get my site membership sorted again.

This looks like a very nice one from the 1970s

Comment

Don't know if these Swaeters were shown before.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great discussion!

Can I get some input about the authenticity of this alleged trials uniform?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 137 users online. 0 members and 137 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X