No announcement yet.

BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a photo of the sets of BGS-See patches that I have in my collection. The set sewn to the blue material was for the shirt, and the two loose patches are for the jacket pocket on the coats and parkas, The old stitch lines on your BGS-See parka look like you will need the small arch and eagle, like the "regular" BGS jackets and parkas used, only in BGS-See blue and gold.

As you can see, the BGS-See, used a blue background, with yellow stitching on the patch and arch........

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Cool! Funny to think that the button/snap color turned out to be so important. Sometimes details like this seem to be important but the real answer turns out to be "the head of the factory making the parkas had a brother, Jürgen, who made blue buttons. So they used blue buttons"

It is odd that BGS-See is so under documented. Hopefully someone will present information about their uniforms so we have more to work with in the future.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Steve,

I second your thoughts on BGS See info. I'll have to see (no pun intended!)what I have in my library. In the mean time, perhaps Marksharky would measure the sleeve insignia he has and post that info here. Also some info about construction of the badges. BGS shirt badges are usually of a thinner and different type of material than the patches used on the sleeves of tunics etc. Since it appears he used a host to post these photos I'll copy them and repost them so we don't lose this info. I'll add a photo of from my archives of some of the commonly used BGS arm badges.

Regards,

Gordon
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gordon Craig; 02-14-2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen,

I've been hunting for my BGS board uniform since the recent additions to this thread without any success. I've had to limit the time I spent searching due to other commitments. This is one of the few times my wifes comment "You have too many uniforms" is actually true. I do however have pictures of it from the original auction.

Regards,

Gordon
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
            This is one of the few times my wifes comment "You have too many uniforms"
            Sorry for being off topic... but those in here who never heard this sentence live alone or are no real collectors...

Jens

P.S. Nice jacket, Gordon

Comment

I second Jens' comments about both the uniform and wife commentary

Recently I told my wife a collector I know sold a uniform for $20,000. She said, "when are you going to do that?". I said "when you let me buy $10,000 uniforms and sit on them for 20 years".

Steve

Comment

Ah yes....... when my wife speaks the "Why" question, in any form, about my collection, it is NEVER good !!!

But now, back on topic, I pulled out my BGS-See patches and took a few more photos with measurements. As you can see in the photos, the eagle patches are light weight with a twill background fabric and backing. The arch is also on a twill with heavier fabric backing and heavier edge binding.

The small arch measurements are about: 88mm across the top corners, 60mm across the lower corners and 20mm wide.

The eagle patch is about : 60mm tall, 50mm wide

The large arch is about: 110mm across the top corners, 25mm wide.

Here are the photos:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                Last edited by Marksharky; 02-15-2012, 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

glad I'm single...
                  I'm still searching for that special lady.
                  only condition is her militaria collection has to be larger then mine before we can merge.
                  however,
                  I've measured the stitchings on the black parka with blue buttons.
                  their are 2 stitch lines for each badge 2mm apart.
                  I've measured the 2 furthest apart.
                  the tab 23mm wide,top arch 90mm,bottom arch 67mm.
                  the eagle hight 63mm,wide 52mm.
                  any ladies out there with over 30 mannequins; PM me
                  kees

Comment

It sounds like the stitch lines on your parka match the size of the BGS-See patches that I have. More evidence that your Parka is definitely BGS-See.

Good luck on your search for the "perfect wife"!!!!!!

Comment

thanks Mark,but I find looking for more stuff nicer then wife hunting.
                      the pocket flap where the badges have been is just 9,8cm.
                      not much room,so they had to really fit them carefully there.
                      that can cause for a few milimeters difference on it's own for the upper tab in wide.
                      thanks again for your efforts,
                      kees

Comment

If BGS-See badges are anything like regular BGS badges... good luck finding the exact perfect match! I must have a half dozen variations of the arcs and about the same number of the eagles. Some are very obviously different, others are very subtle

At one point I had a box full of badges so I could make sure to match the badges correctly to whatever jacket I was restoring. There seems to be little rhyme or reason to the small differences in sizes.

Steve

Comment

Gentlemen,

I found another set of BGS See badges while going through some boxes a couple of days ago. Here they are for comparison purposes.

Regards,

Gordon
                          Attached Files

Comment

BGS 57 Ribbon bars

Gentlemen,

I've been conversing with a fellow collector from Germany who speciallizes in collecting 57 awards. He has recently sent me pictures of a bar where the miniatures of breast awards are mounted on green cloth instead of black. He has said that some ex Wehmacht members who served in the BGS wore ribbon bars with the green cloth backing instead of the black. I had never heard of this before so I asked if I could post them here and get some feedback from other BRD Forum members and he agreed. So, your thoughts on this practice please.

Regards,

Gordon
                            Attached Files

Comment

Gordon,
                              Interesting ribbon bar. I've not seen this either. This photo has a fair chance of showing the green-backed ribbons in use. This is your photo from post #23 of this thread.

I'm looking through old 57er ribbon bars to see if there's any significance to the background color on some of these. I have a late 1950s Luftwaffe uniform which has an added ribbon bar. The qualification badges (pilot) is on blue. Never gave it much thought but is the backing blue because the Luftwaffe uniform was blue? i.e. Are Heer wartime qualification badges on dark grey to match the BW Heer uniform? I honestly never gave it any thought.
                              Last edited by SprogCollector; 02-21-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

SprogCollector,

The regulations for the 57 ribbon bars state that breast award miniatures are to be worn on black cloth ribbon backing. From time to time, you do see Luftwaffe specific awards on blue ribbon but that may be only one ribbon in the lot while the rest of the miniatures would be on black ribbon material. I have never seen grey backing used for ground forces and this is the first time that I have seen green used. Hence the question.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 50 users online. 0 members and 50 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X