Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
    Gentlemen,

I envy you the ability to own an FN. They were banned in Canada several years ago by an "Order-in-Council" which is a neat way of getting around any debate in parlament.

Regards,

Gordon
    Gorden it sounds similar to our government's Executive Order which banned the imoprtation of barrels with rifle kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
      Redleg - Those G-1s are out of this world!

I'm early into a restoration project (APEX kit) and can can only dream about getting to your level.

You have set the bar high my friend!

All the best - TJ

TJ, did you receive the BGS-G1 Model "b" or the BW-G1 Model "c" from Apex?

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
        Agreed... that is one heckofa FAL. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get one of those kits before they're all gone. Hopefully I'm not too late.

As for the jacket, the overall condition is the best I've ever seen. The only defect I see is the D ring is sliced off (unfortunately quite common). And a size stamp... pretty cool.

Of all the experimental 1957 items, I've never seen more than size tags or stamps. Most, however, are in very used condition so perhaps the stamps are washed out. Contrary to common wisdom, the 4 pocket pull over smock is the least rare of the three 1957 trials items. This 4 pocket jacket is the second most. The most rare is the 2 pocket smock, of which I've only ever seen the one I have. For every 4 pocket jacket I've seen, I've probably seen four or five 4 pocket smocks.

Interesting side note. I had a spare 4 pocket 1957 jacket in what appeared to be unissued condition, however they sliced off the right side of the neck when they surplussed it. Someone went to great lengths to sorta recreate it using identical cloth. They must have had two jackets or something like that. Damned shame. Still, I sold it for a lot of money damage and all.

Steve
        Thanks for the information Steve. In viewing old photos and films of the BGS with the early Model "a" their uniforms seemed to be the GI helmet and M43 field jacket with US Army rank strips on the jackets. Is this correct?

Comment

Very nice rifle in the above pics! Refering to the scope, what is a good asking price? I need to know because I was offered one and I would like to buy but don't want to get ripped off and I cannot really find any referances online. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Bgs g1

here is my kit rifle. Had this kit done by a guy in Maine who specializes in restoring kits to excellent non working order.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Redleg View Post
              Thanks for the information Steve. In viewing old photos and films of the BGS with the early Model "a" their uniforms seemed to be the GI helmet and M43 field jacket with US Army rank strips on the jackets. Is this correct?
              Hmmm... I don't think I've ever seen BGS in anything but their own uniforms and M42 style helmets. If you mean early BW, then I also am scratching my head From the get go the BW had their own uniforms, though their equipment and weapons were initially of US origins or at least US designs. Which would mean you wouldn't see a FAL in that case because by the time they moved to FALs they had their own field kit, though still retained the M1 style helmet.

If you have some pics to post that will probably clear things up!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sammlermws View Post
                Very nice rifle in the above pics! Refering to the scope, what is a good asking price? I need to know because I was offered one and I would like to buy but don't want to get ripped off and I cannot really find any referances online. Thanks for the help!
                Military scopes show up from time to time on forum market places or auctions for the best buys. Price will depend on the external condition and the clearity of the optics, so be sure to check those features.
                Keep in mind with today's economy those who are in need of funds are willing to bargain down if they see cash.

The top two scopes are OIP 3.6X made in the 1950s and go for around $1000. I see one for sale for $700.
                The third is a Karl Kaps 4X for about $500-$600.
                The forth is a Hensoldt 4x in a range of $400-$800 from used to new.
                The fifth is a commercial FN marked scope made most likely by Hensoldt and sold here 20 years ago by Gun South. $1000.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                  Hmmm... I don't think I've ever seen BGS in anything but their own uniforms and M42 style helmets. If you mean early BW, then I also am scratching my head From the get go the BW had their own uniforms, though their equipment and weapons were initially of US origins or at least US designs. Which would mean you wouldn't see a FAL in that case because by the time they moved to FALs they had their own field kit, though still retained the M1 style helmet.

If you have some pics to post that will probably clear things up!

Steve
                  Steve, you are absolutely correct. The BW in what appears to be American uniforms and are carring the G1 model "c" and the BGS in the training film with the Model "a" are wearing GI helmets and what appears to be German made gray uniforms.
                  Last edited by Redleg; 01-06-2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blake485 View Post
                    here is my kit rifle. Had this kit done by a guy in Maine who specializes in restoring kits to excellent non working order.
                    An excellent G1 Model "c" build there Blake.
                    I see you have the early Type B stock, a Type 1 lower and a Type 3 upper receiver. Mauser sling?

Comment

Another consideration on the purchase of scopes is the STANAG mount:

Top: FN made mount $150-$200 like new.
                      Botton: Argentine made mount $70-$80 like new.

Comment

Originally posted by Redleg View Post
                        Steve, you are absolutely correct. The BW in what appears to be American uniforms and are carring the G1 model "c" and the BGS in the training film with the Model "a" are wearing GI helmets and what appears to be German made gray uniforms.
                        Redleg,

I would be interesting if you would post t a link to the whatever it is that shows the uniforms and rifles that are being mentioned here.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                          Redleg,

I would be interesting if you would post t a link to the whatever it is that shows the uniforms and rifles that are being mentioned here.

Regards,

Gordon
                          Gordon: All the information is on the FALFiles site under the very long BGS thread which was developed by imput of the members. Unfortunately, the site is down right now due to the transferring from one server to an upgraded server.
                          The photos were all retrieved from Google and the films are old BGS & BW films from YouTube. All are not hard to find.

Comment

I'd also love to get a look at them when they're back up because I've never seen:

1. BW using anything other than their own uniforms domestically isn't something I've ever encountered. Not in films, period pics, or rather expensive detailed BW books. US style helmets and some equipment... definitely, not uniforms. Same true for Austrian Bundesheer.

2. BGS ever wearing anything other than M42 style helmets. See current and previous posts from Behrnard showing helmets going back to 1953. Including what appears to be converted wartime helmet shells in use.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=bgs+helmet

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=564891

Your collection of FAL stuff continues to impress! Wow, that's some great stuff you've managed to accumulate.

Steve

Comment

What are the field uniforms these two BW troopers wearing?

Comment

I believe the left guy was a US soldier doing training for BW or something, and his uniform is some US uniform if I remember older comments right

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 0 members and 15 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X