BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen,

One comment. The Austrian ones are easy to spot as they have a triangular shaped piece o metal to join the three straps together where as the Germans use a round piece of metal.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Sorry if its been mentioned already on this thread but i used to have one of the BGS camo jackets (think it was lost in a move, dont recall selling it).

This had the sleeve pocket flap cut off and repaired slash.

I was sure i was told at the time of buying it in the early 90s that surplus kit during the cold war was slashed to make it less easy for infiltrators or enemy units/agents to use.

Possibly in much the same way that loads of cold war era swiss kit was quite rare until the 90sas that was destoryed rather than sold?

Anyone know if there is any truth in this?

Comment

Originally posted by GHarvey View Post
        Sorry if its been mentioned already on this thread but i used to have one of the BGS camo jackets (think it was lost in a move, dont recall selling it).

This had the sleeve pocket flap cut off and repaired slash.

I was sure i was told at the time of buying it in the early 90s that surplus kit during the cold war was slashed to make it less easy for infiltrators or enemy units/agents to use.

Possibly in much the same way that loads of cold war era swiss kit was quite rare until the 90sas that was destoryed rather than sold?

Anyone know if there is any truth in this?
        Your Info about the BGS Stuff is right. It was demilitarized by the BGS so that it was easy to detect Surplus from the "Real" Stuff. Even the Helmets got a hit with a Pickaxe to destroy them. Even Breadbags and canteens got demiled Parka's allway's got the Armflap and the Breadbag-Rings on the back cut off.
        From Swiss Stuff I know that they kept it in Storages and sold it in the early 90's to a Wholesaledealer in Germany (Not Sturm). I saw the old Factories filled with Swiss Stuff in piles up to 10-12 Meters High. Before that Time I went to switzerland from Time to time to get Stuff directly from the Zeughaus. Mostly the Fur Packs, and everything else you could use for Scouting.

Comment

Lots of the Swiss camo turned up in Yugoslavia, used by the Kosovar troops that bought it as surplus, I would think destroying stuff also makes it less likely to turn up in any random warzone

Comment

Originally posted by michelwijnand View Post
            Lots of the Swiss camo turned up in Yugoslavia, used by the Kosovar troops that bought it as surplus, I would think destroying stuff also makes it less likely to turn up in any random warzone
            Some people in Germany made a lot of money with that. Also BW stuff was very popular in the UCK. You just had to register as a Surplus Dealer and sell the Stuff to Germans on the Market. Nobody wondered why private people bought in bulk loads. You just had to smugle it to Kosovo as Civy Clothing Aid.

Comment

Originally posted by michelwijnand View Post
              I remember swiss kit going from 'impossible to find' to 'you can't give it away' within a few months when they changed pattern and the Russians were no longer a massive threat

Comment

Comment

Hi Redleg,

Sorry to say that jacket is a commercial item. Good quality and apparently made in Germany around 1986. Besides no jacket like this ever existing in BGS (or even BW) service, the other tip off is the pink tone to the red portions of the design.

Ironically, earlier today I stumbled upon a thread about the same jacket I participated in on a different forum. You can see some more details about BGS jackets there.

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t4469-bg...of-the-pattern

Also, the hat is commercial too. Sturm/Mil-Tec are cranking them out these days, but production goes back to the 1980s by various companies. They all share the same rubberized cloth, which I assume was left over from something intended for BGS service.

Nice G1!

Steve

Comment

Comment

Comment

Whoa! Redleg, you have a very rare jacket in the last picture. This is a 1957 experimental jacket (rare enough), but with retrofitted loops for ranks. Never seen one of those before! Though the jacket is rare enough I've only seen maybe 4 in total, which isn't a big sample.

Any stamp marks still visible inside?

Rank loops and buttons were added sometime in 1961 or 1962. I can't remember if I narrowed it down better than that.

Steve

Comment

I only see a number "46" in the upper left of the photo. BTW, the FAL is the last picture is an early BGS-G1 Model 'a' and only 1000-1500 were made by FN.

[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/RedlegFN/133_3303.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Redleg - Those G-1s are out of this world!

I'm early into a restoration project (APEX kit) and can can only dream about getting to your level.

You have set the bar high my friend!

All the best - TJ

Comment

Agreed... that is one heckofa FAL. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get one of those kits before they're all gone. Hopefully I'm not too late.

As for the jacket, the overall condition is the best I've ever seen. The only defect I see is the D ring is sliced off (unfortunately quite common). And a size stamp... pretty cool.

Of all the experimental 1957 items, I've never seen more than size tags or stamps. Most, however, are in very used condition so perhaps the stamps are washed out. Contrary to common wisdom, the 4 pocket pull over smock is the least rare of the three 1957 trials items. This 4 pocket jacket is the second most. The most rare is the 2 pocket smock, of which I've only ever seen the one I have. For every 4 pocket jacket I've seen, I've probably seen four or five 4 pocket smocks.

Interesting side note. I had a spare 4 pocket 1957 jacket in what appeared to be unissued condition, however they sliced off the right side of the neck when they surplussed it. Someone went to great lengths to sorta recreate it using identical cloth. They must have had two jackets or something like that. Damned shame. Still, I sold it for a lot of money damage and all.

Steve

Comment

Gentlemen,

I envy you the ability to own an FN. They were banned in Canada several years ago by an "Order-in-Council" which is a neat way of getting around any debate in parlament.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 50 users online. 0 members and 50 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X