Monty and The Russians meet at Para HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monty and The Russians meet at Para HQ

Fellow member Aide has these interesting photos taken by his father in law, ill let Aide tell more when he sees this thread......
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Peter for posting the photos ... I hope members find them of interest? I have studied the notes on the reverse of the photo's, but my father-in law has not named the Brigadiers? On the reverse of the photo [which at first glance appear to be German POW's] he has written ... "Russian refugees" ??
          As stated in his text... even in those very early days ... tensions were underlying between the British & Russian troops, regarding "their" perceived captured territory!
          He parachuted into Normandy with the 6th Airborne [not sure pre or post D Day?] I believe, then returned to UK for further training? [for a short time], ... then parachuted into Hamminkeln, on the Rhine crossing, on 24th March 1945 & I guess, ended up in Wismar on VE Day meeting the Russians with Monty?? Somewhere on the way he was awarded the Military MBE!

Comment

Well Hadrian, i found the picks and veteran recolection interesting Also found the group shot of the Para officers wearing the khaki auto magazine pouches of interest

Comment

Thank you Peter for posting my photos & your interest in the subject matter

Comment

Great photo's, is he in the photo with the flag ??

Comment

Many thanks ... I believe my Father-in Law was the guy taking the picture, with his newly aquired camera, taken from the German Propaganda Unit that the chaps [in the photo]recently took prisoner ... along with the flag ... I guess?

Comment

Very interesting pictures. I can make out general Bols, brigadier Hill.
                    Thanks for posting!

Jeroen

Comment

Thanks for posting these!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X